Bedding ideas, please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
Holiday and Fiesta have officially moved out of my shower stall. That worked well in a way, but the downstairs bathroom is frequently in use lately so it's just not feasable. Plus, no matter how well I pad everything I have trouble with stuff getting in the drain. Nothing like using the toilet plunger on the shower floor!

Anyhow, they are in a kiddie pool in the den. Unfortunantly it isn't a large one - or as large as I'd like for it to be. It's ok for now since their mobility is limited.

Naturally, cedar and pin is out for them to be on.

Bare pool bottom doesn't work since it's rivited and uncomfortable.

Blankets etc won't work since Fiesta has developed a taste for cloth.

Puppy Pee pads (as their foster home used) get nibbled on.

So, I've put a lot of timothy hay in the pool. The depth, texture and uneven surface helps with their mobility since they have somewhat of a "sinking" padded area that they can dig their legs into.

However, I need (or think I need) a different substrate for them to get onto so they aren't hay-bound all the time.

Plywood seems to be out - too hard for them to be on, urine contamination (probably) slickness...

Coroplast is too slick.

I thought about using some NIC grids under some of the hay to provide a stable surface but the grid pattern will be problematic and their feet could get caught.

Cinder blocks are too rough for their undersides.

Cardboard? Still a slickness issue unless I score it a lot with a box cutter and fork? I don't know. It would be easy to replace as used...

Cloth covered anything will be nibbled and probably ingested.

Any ideas of how to make their living quarters more enjoyable?

What about grass mats? Or straw mats? Do you think they're going to ingest a lot of it? If not, it's safe and cheap, and they can get a good grip on its surface. They also cannot distroy it easily, it will take them time to shred it to pieces.

Also, do they eat all the cloth items you give them? My bun eats clothes, blankets, sheets, towels etc., so I never let any cloth near him for the fear of Gi obstructions, but has never even taken a bite off his sheepskin rug. Do you think it would be worth trying sheepskin?

Shreaded cardboard would be a lot of work (unless you buy an electical shredder) and mess and you should replace it every second day, as I guess they would pee on it and maybe they'll eat paper too.

Marietta

The first thing I thought of was a very thick bed of CareFresh Ultra. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it's very fluffy and comfy. It's also easy to spot-clean and you can see which areas have been peed in because the Carefresh is white.

One doubt I have is that it will be "too fluffy" and they won't have anything to "grip" to scoot around. Maybe Carefresh Ultra and hay?

There has to be something!

Hay and/or grass mats are by far the best thing IMO. All bunnies LOVE living with lots of hay. And you can get pretty large grass mats, they're cheap, comfortable and edible. (Just try and find ones manufactured in the US, they haven't been sprayed with anything).

sas :)

I love carefresh too. I have gotten over the cost, though it's very high. Makes a wonderful filler for the litter pans. Nice and soft and comfy.

When Ringie had babies, I splurged and bought the pink and blue. How cute. They slept in nursery colored bedding. Awwwww But it was about twice as expensive as the reg. carefresh. Before the carefresh I used the aspen for the litter boxes but the odor control and absorbency were not even close.

How about vet bed? (I think it's called palace pet bedding or something over there:?)

Millie destroys hers on a daily basis and has never managed to eat any as it is so tough so I doubt Fiesta would be able to eat any. It is also very soft, cushioned and soaks liquids through to the bottom leaving the top dry (so good for incontinent olderrabbits or just rabbits that aren't well litter trained). Might be worth a try.:)

I've been using small rugs from Kmart that cost $7-$10 each depending on the sale. My bunnies are in wire floor cages so I cut these rugs into the appropriate size and put them in the cages for them to rest their feet. They love to sit on the carpet and if they pee on it, I just clean it with a carpet cleaner. If it gets fairly dirty, I trash it and buy a new one because they're pretty cheap.

Now, Billy LOVES to pull up the carpeting in the apartment but he doesn't pull it up from the carpet squares I give him. So, as long as they aren't eating the carpet I think it works out pretty well.

Here's the link to Kmart's product:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_99900600CZR04000B?vName=For+the+Home&keyword=rug

Mine all have blankets - fleece ones - and they sometimes nibble to move them and stuff but usually they don't down right eat them.

I also use grass mats. Do you have a WORLD MARKET or COST PLUS in your area?

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
How about vet bed? (I think it's called palace pet bedding or something over there:?)

Millie destroys hers on a daily basis and has never managed to eat any as it is so tough so I doubt Fiesta would be able to eat any. It is also very soft, cushioned and soaks liquids through to the bottom leaving the top dry (so good for incontinent olderrabbits or just rabbits that aren't well litter trained). Might be worth a try.:)

I *think* I received some in the mail today!

A lady in the disabled rabbits online group I'm a part of offered to send me some and she followed through wonderfully.

I have three very thick good sized pieces that should be perfect for the boys!

:pinkbouce:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
WONDERFUL!

How are they doing? still racing for food?

Holiday is doing great. He's so happy and perky and he LOVES me.

Fiesta is coming out of his shell but he is still a little timid. He isn't holding weight real well right now. First he was at a standstill but then he dropped 2 ounces.

I need to get him back to the vet for arespiratory checkup but right now with the weather the way it is any drive is almost impossible. I'd risk it if *I* needed to go somewhere but I don't want to be in a wreck or stranded with two bunnies in the car.

This week though, they both will make it back to the vet for checkups. Fiesta loosing weight isnt too alarming, we've been down that road before - he loses then gains more in the end, so it evens out.

Oh man! that little Holiday really has my heart strings! I can see how sweet he is in pictures... Fiesta too but you can see he's more nervous.

Give them a little nose rub for me!

Leaf wrote:
Bunnys_rule63 wrote:

I *think* I received some in the mail today!

A lady in the disabled rabbits online group I'm a part of offered to send me some and she followed through wonderfully.

:pinkbouce:

That's great! I'm sure you wont be disappointed - vet bed is brilliant!:D (Millie is snoozing on hers as I write this:p)

Leaf wrote:
They are thick. :D

Pebbles will dig at hers, but they are so thick and durable.

Bebe will just sit on hers and fall asleep.

Latest posts

Back