Beau goes to dentist near Madison tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck!

I am guessing that the vet says the issues are genetic because with these flat-faced bunnies there's so little room in there for the cheek teeth--and in some bunnies, they grow out of control and into places they're not supposed to, causing the infection. It's like they grow somewhere and create a wound, and that wound then gets infected.

Perhaps he's getting a high tolerance to pain? It is sometimes surprising what pain a bunny can put up with--all sorts of cancerous tumors, botflies, tooth issues, ear infections, etc.

He is drinking and eating and pooping .:)
Yesterday the dentist described Beau as 'tough" and I must admit that I have to give him credit for all he has been through in his life.

Ireceived a case summary sheet from the vet andI will type in the Assessment because even though it is technical it does really describe the severity of his problems.

Oral Exam (Major Findings)

!) Overgrowth of maxillary incisors and peg teeth cauing a malocclusion with the mandibular incisors
2) Class 3 mobility of the lst, 2nd, 3rd, mandibular left cheek teeth with advanced periodontal disease and infected root tips

3) Lateral deviation of the left 4th mandibular cheek tooth

4) 8mm ulcer with caseous purulent discharge to the left 1st, 2nd mandibular cheek teeth

Assessment

1) Good anesthetic candidate

2) Ulceration lingual to the lst and 2nd mandibular cheek teeth with purulent discharge indicating a severe periodontal infection.

3 )Advanced periodontal disease causing severe attachment loss and mobility of the left mandibular 1st,2nd and 3rd cheek teeth necessitating extraction. A root/bund of the 3rd cheek tooth remains . this will eventually grow back into the mouth.

4th Malocclusion of the maxillary and mandibular incisors

5)Lateral deviation of the 4th mandibualr left cheek tooth

His mouth is a mess ......

:sosad

But for some reason he has never had an abscess (Thank God)

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, Maureen!

Thank goodness, what a tough little guy! I'm so happy for you and him right now! Hope he continues to improve!

Give him a pettin from me!

Crys:hug:

You are certainly not failing Beau!!! I'm sure he is a tough bun, but I think his attitude stems from trusting you. He knows that whatever you're doing, will make him feel better. It's a sign of trust in you. Well placed trust, too.

oof that is a lot of mess in his mouth. It certainly isn't your fault at all, though. You do so much to help him! It sounds like Beau may need to be yet another toothless wonder, probably as a result of poor breeding. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Ideally he should go to the dentist probably every few months ...but it is so hard financially and physically to get there.

He is doing very well now ( or so it appears)

I have totally lost trust in assessing his behavior as an indicator that something is amiss in his mouth

Iwant to make sure that the ulcer has healed so within the next few months I will take him to the budding dentist closer to here and just have her look at his mouth under anesthesia

he does seem like he is recovering well though....:?
so that's good :)

Latest posts

Back