Beau goes to dentist near Madison tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well it's time to get Beau's teeth realigned , filed, pulled and whatever... so tomorrow at 6 AM we leave for Verona (near Madison. )

Wish him luck ; it's going to be a long day for us.
Maureen

th_100_2127Large-1.jpg

Well I'm ready to go but we will leave about 6 AM ..takes exactly 3 hrs

PoorBeau is all sprawled out in his relaxed position totally clueless that in alittle while I will be putting him in the carrier .

I can put my fingers in his mouth and feel on each side

On one side the teeth are growing up high and will need to be filed down . the other side feels Ok ; I am fairly sure that he doesn't have teeth criss crossing his mouth this time.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone :)

If Beau gets the happy gas for his procedure like Riley did, the car ride back shouldn't be so bad. :)

We are back ; Ihope that Beauwill be fine but a lot was going on in his mouth so I am going to move my post to the Infirmary
He never ceases to amaze me with his problems :shock:

This timeI really thought that he would need the upper and lower molarson one side filed down and maybe some filing in other areas but since Beau has seemed comfortable to me and has actually gained weight I did not think that he had acute issues going on.

So wrong !!!

He had three lower molars on oneside that were loose and extremely infected ..a big ulcer had actually formed in the gum adjacent to one of the loose teeth. it was oozing pus and needed to be cleaned out ; all three of the lower molars were pulled.

Now this is on a rabbit who isALREADY on bicillin for his mouth issues.

Beau is home and has not eaten since we left about 6 AM although he did get sub q fluids at the office. I really want to force something into him but I think (and hope) that ifI give this a little time that he will eatlater tonight(he immediately went to sleep here);he usually will start eating on his own the first night. I did get some pedialyte into him

Ihate to force feed him when his mouth is sore

Anyway the trip was terrible because Jim wasangry that we had to wait this morning ( the office was busy) and then wait later in the afternoon also. I have to learn and make myself drive thattrip myself and get over my inadequacy re. driving distances alone. :(

Yay for eating! Could the vet prescribe something like Zithromax and another vet nearer to you could fill it? Or do his gum infections usually go away once the teeth are pulled?

:hug:

I am sorry both of you had to go through that. Poor Beau. I am glad he is eating. It is so stressful sitting around waiting for them to eat.

Wow, yikes! I'm glad the vet caught that though. Sounds like it must have been really painful. Let us know how his recovery goes!

I saw Zucchini at DCHS btw but didn't get to spend much time with him because I was too busy--he's adorable and sweet, though!

Zucchiniis a very sweet boy but what was so strange is that all of the 17 had almost identical temperaments.

Well Beau is eating some but he has not been drinking enough so I played with the idea of doing sub q's but ended up syringing him by mouth which he initally resisted but now is more compliant
I am quite sure that the infectionwas created by the teeth because this has happened many times before.
The dentist has said his problems are genetic, but I do have trouble understanding why peristent mouth infection is genetic.:?..all of this odd teeth problems started when he was about 2 yrs

The infection should subside with the removal of the teeth and he is now on 2 antibiotics instead of his usual 1
I am going to have to get a follow up visit in maybe a month because I really cannot settle down not knowing if the gum is healing correctly.
if I cannot get back to Verona I will take him to the vet in Winona Mn ; she is a budding dentist and I would at least trust her to put him under and see if this is healing up.

It is very disturbing to me that his behavior doesn't at all reflect his condition. This should have been painful but probably not as painful as a tooth growing into his cheek (which has happened before) but he never showed anything this time.

I really should go more often but it is so hard. it is about $600.00 a vist :(for all this work and it is a big strain but it needs to be done.

I always feel that I am failing him ..that I don't do enough :(
I wish that I was a rabbit saavy vetor lived next door to Randy

Latest posts

Back