Beating Mites...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonyshuman wrote:
I'm sure the vet carries ivermectin. It's used on everything from dogs to cows to humans. It can be given orally (wikipedia tells me). It is pretty similar chemically to Revolution (compound name selamectin), but I agree that it doesn't make much sense to stick with a drug that's not working instead of trying one that might kick it.

Before I make any other move (re: mite treatment), I'm waiting to hear what the latest dermatologist tells my mom. (She's seeing him/her this afternoon.)

I will again discuss the idea of Ivermectin treatment with my vet. In all honesty, I wish she'd gone that (more inexpensive) route from the strart--assuming that it would've/could've ended this problem on its own. But last time we discussed the idea of using Ivermectin, she said that she worries about using it because my animals have already had so many Revolution treatments.

I've read several websites that state that the environment should always be treated (sprayed and bombed) once mites are within the home. I now wish that I hadn't used Virbac and told an exterminator that we have fleas (since many won't guarantee their work against mites and, thus, won't even treat for them) to get him to treat our home.

naturestee wrote:
I wonder if Ivermectin would be a better choice. It can be given orally, injected, and there's a version that can be poured in the ears. It would be given regularly (maybe daily for oral?) so there would be a more constant level of medication.
The last time that I spoke with the vet, she mentioned that we may want to try Ivermectin at this point (since all four animals start scratching about 12 days' after a Revolution dose). I didn't want to go that route, but we can't continue this cycle.

When the mitesfirst struck, I vacuumed the entire house for four days' straight (throwing out the vacuum bag daily). Then I switched to vacuuming one level of the house daily, keeping up this routine for another 17 days' (and still pitching the vacuum bag each time).

Now I plan to buy Kleen Green Enzymesand Diatomaceous Earth to help me kill off mites--especially in the rabbits' rooms--while I again step up my vacuuming routine (to at least twice weekly).
...Like Becknutt said you can put a little oil- usually mineral oil- into their ears to smother ear mites. I think this also kills eggs.
A few questions:

1) Does it matter if it's mineral oil, or could olive oil be used? (I ask only because I have olive oil on hand, but obtaining mineral oil wouldn't be difficult.)

2) Do you drop it straight down into the earcanal; or, like Becknutt, do you recommend rubbing the oil on with a cotton ball and allowing some of it to drip down into the ear canal?

3) How many drops (per ear) would be safe? (One drop seems like very little--especially if you drip it straight down into the ear; but multiple drops almost seem like they could cause some odd problem.)

Jenk

I'm sure olive oil would be the same--however baby oil is mineral oil in case you have that on hand. I think the way Becknutt would work (rather than dropping it right down) because the oil will kind of work its way along the skin. I don't know how much oil would be best.

tonyshuman wrote:
I'm sure olive oil would be the same--however baby oil is mineral oil in case you have that on hand.
Alas, I don't have baby oil on hand; but generic mineral oil is surely cheaper. (You know how companies rake customers over the coals when it comes to baby- and pet-related items. :()

I think the way Becknutt would work (rather than dropping it right down) because the oil will kind of work its way along the skin. I don't know how much oil would be best.
I will ask the vet about trying this treatment, coupled with whatever parasite treatment with which we decide to continue (i.e., Revolution or Ivermectin).

Oh, and for cleaning the environment of even teeny pests, try buying some Diatomaceous Earth. Its a granual form of "powder" but awesome in design. Each grain is filled with irregular razor sharp edges. You wont know it to touch but it shreds pests as they try to move through whats sprinkled. Awesome as a flea and pest control.

Leaf wrote:
Oh, and for cleaning the environment of even teeny pests, try buying some Diatomaceous Earth.

I already placed my order for some last night. (I had been meaning to do so for weeks now.) You wouldn't happen to know if it's safe to feed to buns, would you? (A study was supposedly done at three zoos, including Brookfield, which is less than a hour away from my home. DE was fed to tigers, bears, etc., and their external and internal parasites were completely eradicated.)

I also ordered Kleen Green, which an exterminator admitted to my mom will definitely kill mites on contact. So I intend to use it daily (to spritz all pet-related items, as well as our couch, bedding and throw rugs). I'll also use it to wash the pets' flooring at least weekly.

Back