Beat Pulp?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover13

Reaction score
My siter is obsessed with horses and she says that beat pulp would be somewhat like hay for my bunnies.Is it true? since there not big in timothy hay she suggested getting some beat pulp for them but I haven't decided what to do yet. Any adivice or suggestions?:?

Beet pulp is safe for rabbits. It's an ingredient in at least one rabbit pellet (Zupreem, I think?). I fed it to Gus for a few months when he couldn't have hay all the time. However, it is a much higher energy food than regular timothy hay, and bunnies will gain weight on it. At least Gus did. I eventually took him off it because he was getting tubby. But if I had nothing else to feed him, I'd have no reservations giving him the beet pulp.

Look for the high fibre brand (Fibre Max, I think?) if you decide to go that route. It's mixed with soybean hulls and has higher fibre and lower carbs.

Hope that helps!

Rue

O.K I don't know if I'll get that for them just yet because i heard it full of sugar and my bunnies are already hyper enough, and there tubby enough.
Thanks

Beet pulp shouldn't make them hyper. It's actually quite low in sugar. It's a by-product from producing beet sugar, so almost all the sugar is removed from it. But it definitely a higher energy food (somewhere between alfalfa and oats). So you're bunny is definitely likely to gain weight on it.

Hope that helps!

Rue

O.K would my little Skiddles need it then? because he's a palimino bunny but he only weighs 4 pounds while his sister, Snickers weighs 7. And there in the same pen so Snickers would probobly end up eating some of it to, would that be alright?

Y'know, I forgot to ask: How old are your bunnies? 4 lbs is very small for a palomino. They're usually in the 8-10 lb range. (A nice size for a house bunny, if you ask me! ;) )

If he's underweight because she's eating all the food, you may need to feed them separately so he gets his share. Try that before introducing any beet pulp.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Both of my bunnies are just over a year old. They turned 1 in August. I don't know if their pure breeds or what since I gt them from the a local spca. But when I looked into what type they were they looked mostly like palimino. Althrough my one bunny that past away who was there other brother (Twix) had some funky markings on his back, they were darker stripes if that means anything. Idk. I think he might just be smaller built because I can't feel his ribs or any of his other bones either and he looks preety fit and healthy to me. I'll post a pic of him and mabye you can identify what type he is. If that's O.K by you?

Latest posts

Back