Beach Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape337

April
Reaction score
Meet Humma Kavula and Trillian!

15884_191102_330000000.png

This is their story...

I found them in a pet store in Northern DE. Apparently they were very loved and taken care of by their former mommy. Her living arrangements changed and she found she could no longer keep them. Her boyfriend claimed he would take care of them for her, took them, drove straight to the pet store and dumped them off!

When she found out where they were she visited them often in the pet store. They are very sweet, and have only been with me since Thursday night soare still a bit shy. Only a bit because they sure do love when I come around and open that cage door and let them run around!

I left my email address for their previous owner so when she shows up again she will be able to check up on their lives :D

I don't know how long they lived there, but I do know the manager refused to allow them to be separated when many offered to buy one or the other.

So, other than the fact that they're lops I have no idea what breed they are. Both are named for characters in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, one of my favorite movies. Humma is a big clown, I'm still having trouble figuring out how he manages to get that big body airborne :laugh:, but he does it! He sounds like an elephant running around their area! Trillian is more reserved, but she is braver than Humma. When I brought them home, I opened the door of their old cage to let them come out on their own. Humma was indecisive, coming half-out half-in repeatedly. Trillian sat for about 5min of this, got up, shoved him out of the way and came out. She is bossy with him. Today he was busy cleaning, at the same time she was cleaning, then she decided that she was tired of cleaning herself, shoved her head into Humma and forced him to clean her! But they clearly are in love. Humma is neutered, Trillian is in tact. She doesn't know it yet (shhh) but that little fact will be changing.

So now we all live in lower DE on the Western edge of the Rehoboth Bay, hence the name Beach Bunnies :biggrin:. At the moment they are confined to the dining room because their room is under construction. We decided to drywall the sunroom which is where they will be eventually. It's in the end stages now, just some priming and painting, then I'll transfer them there. When they're all settled in their room I'll set it up and take more pics. I hope they like baby terrapins, because I raise 1 litter a year if they come out too soon. But they can't get too attached because I release them each late September. In my area Diamondback Terrapins are in trouble because the mommys get run over on the highway as they cross from the marsh to the dunes to lay their eggs. Well they also come up into my yard and bury eggs in my garden beds. Some years they will emerge a bit early in the spring so I gather them and raise them until September. Apparently if you raise them to 3" they are no longer easily picked off by predators, so that's what I do. I feel it's my chance to help.

Anyway I will post more pics soon! :heartbeat:

Here's more pics!:biggrin:

15884_191334_510000000.jpg

It's really hard to get the lighting right for Trillian bc she's black and half the time she's invisible!

15884_191334_520000001.jpg

15884_191337_040000000.jpg

15884_191334_540000004.jpg

15884_191334_530000003.jpg

15884_191334_530000002.jpg

I love this pic of Humma, he's such a ham he actually sat for that!:inlove:
Humma has got a tuft of white fur on the top of his head that's longer than the rest, it's hilarious! You can kinda see it in this pic.

On Trillian's back is a few white ticked hairs, looks like somebody tried to give her highlights!

Thanks everybody! They're zoomin' all over their play area so I think they are happy :biggrin2:

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
They are beautiful!

How much do they weigh?  They could be Mini or Holland lops, I would lean a little more to the Holland.

Thank you! :biggrin2:

Not sure how much they weigh, I'm trying to figure out how to weigh them since they don't want to be picked up. Humma looks about 2x the size of Trillian but I was told they are the same age. :?

Now I believe it....there are ghosts. When my dog was alive, everybody had a good laugh that whenever I went into the kitchen to cook, he took off and hid down the hall. Just because I set off the smoke detector once or twice, or maybe more, doesen't mean I'm dangerous in the kitchen. He died in August.

So, ever since I've had my bunnies, say 2-3 weeks?, they run in their cage and hide whenever I start cooking. I haven't set off the smoke detector in quite some time, definitely not since they've been here.

So who told them to hide??? Creepy... :biggrin2:

I'm really not that unsafe....:lookaround

XD haha silly bunnies.

Yeeeah I've set the burner on fire once while boiling water. To be fair my room mate had made macaroni and some of the pasta got underneth and that's what started the fire. She came home and found all the burners soaking in the sink. I told her what happened and said I figured I'd clean them all since I was cleaning one anyway.

Well glad to see i'm not the only "kitchen nightmare" :biggrin:

So yesterday hubby was hanging out with the bunnies...trillian comes up behind him and bites him right in the back. He yelled "ow!" and jumped up, then she ran into her cage and hid. She's definitely not as friendly as Humma. She tested my knee out about a week ago too. She's bossy and nudges us constantly when she can get to us. They do not have run of the house, just their area in the dining room until their room is finished, which will be soon. I warned him about her and explained to him why I don't sit with them anymore, unless she's inside and Humma is out running around. He is really sweet and a clown. But i explained that he is also fixed and she is not. So he now agrees that she should be fixed too. Especially since they both are already 2.5 years old, she could get cancer.

Bunny drama. I'm hoping changing her to an it will calm the bites.

Trillian looks just like my Fru, so much in fact that except for the fact Fru is male I couldn't tell them a part! His story also begins at a bed store, he was older than than the buns they usually sale because his famiy died in an ice storm and they gave him to the pet store.

BrittanyandFruFru wrote:
Trillian looks just like my Fru, so much in fact that except for the fact Fru is male I couldn't tell them a part! His story also begins at a bed store, he was older than than the buns they usually sale because his famiy died in an ice storm and they gave him to the pet store.

That's a touching story, which I'm very glad to hear has a happy ending!
That's so funny that Fru and Trillian look like twins! I wonder....is he as much of a troublemaker as she is? She unpotted one of my potted plants today....soil all over the place :p

You know I love your hitchhiker names! Great area you live in; I grew up near there. So pet friendly, too!
I think there's something with black lops and potted plants. My dad's uprooted my avocado tree I'd been growing for years...little creature wanted to sit in the pot. Spaying will probably help Trillian's biting...do it sooner rather than later...bunnies with cancer are so sad.

Q-tip is looking over my shoulder and says that Humma is *really* cute. I tried to explain to her that he already has a girlfriend, but she doesn't care.

qtipthebun wrote:
You know I love your hitchhiker names! Great area you live in; I grew up near there. So pet friendly, too!
I think there's something with black lops and potted plants. My dad's uprooted my avocado tree I'd been growing for years...little creature wanted to sit in the pot. Spaying will probably help Trillian's biting...do it sooner rather than later...bunnies with cancer are so sad.

Q-tip is looking over my shoulder and says that Humma is *really* cute. I tried to explain to her that he already has a girlfriend, but she doesn't care.

Thanks! I love that movie!
Funny about the potted plant, she got it again a few days later :X
I'm from Newark originally, moved down to the beach about 8years ago. It's nice here but I miss the convenience of scooting up and down I-95 to philly and baltimore. The hubby and I are talking about moving back. Better pay up there too.
Yea, Trillian is a pretty posessive little bunny....even if Humma's eyes do wander to cuties like Q-tip :wink

Latest posts

Back