Be Honest w Me Re: Night Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunKissed

Reaction score
Newbie here. I'm researching more before we jump into rabbit owning. I posted this in here as it more pertains to behavior than housing.

For those of you who have your rabbits in cages in your rooms at night, how much noise do they really make? Are rabbits more prone to sleeping thru the night like we are, or are they more nocturnal? Do you hear a lot of constant moving and chewing, etc, or do you find that once they get into routine with you, they settle down for the night?

Thanks!

My bunnies are in the room across the hall from where I sleep and they are quiet. When I had a hamster in the same room as the bunnies I could hear him riding the wheel all night long :p

I think it depends on the individual bun. I have four, Sebastian hated being caged and would chew on thecageand rattle it all night long. Now that he's free range, he's very quiet unless he sense Yogi bear, then he does the warning thump. Baci is very quiet in his cage unless he's hungry, then he throws his plate and bowl around to wake us. The girls are also free range at night and they are usually very quiet. They are all nocturnal, however they also adapted to our schedule and sleep also during the evening.

If you're nervous about the noise,you can always just keep them in another room.

I think it is very dependent on the rabbit. The one I have now is very quiet at night and I rarely hear him. He does occasionally get up and go sit in his litter box and eat hay during the night, but that's it and I only hear him when I'm already awake. He is free range from about 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. and I shut him in his cage when I go to bed and let him out when I get up.

My last rabbit was much noisier at night. She'd sleep, but in between sleep times, she'd dig in her litter box, rattle the cage door and chew on boxes (and play with toys until I learned to take them out at night). Even though she was free range from morning until night, she was noisier at night.

If you don't think you could get used to that stuff, you may need to have an alternative plan in case having a rabbit in your room doesn't work out.

I live in an apartment, and I have Jacob in my living room/ dining room area. He is a little noisy, with chewing on boxes, and his cage and running a little bit at night. I put a fan on in my room and it helps to drown out the noise he makes. I have no idea if he sleeps at all through the night, cause he has his quiet time during the day.

My 2 always settle down at night. They rarely make noise in the night time.

I guess it changes considering temp./time/noise/individual rabbit.

One option for night time is to have a fold out puppy pen. You fold it out at bedtime to fill your living area for the bunny, then fold it up again in the morning so you have your living area during the day. Works well if your short on space and your bun isn't free range.

My bunnies are in the living room, there cage is backed against the wall and right on the other side of the wall, our bed is back against that side. So the only thing separating us at night from the bunnies is a single wall. We never hear them making noise, they are pretty quiet unless they get real hyper and happy because then they start binking all over the cage and playing with toys which can get a bit loud, but not enough to really keep us awake.

I dont know if this helped but I hope so :)

Scone used to run around and chew on his toys as soon as I turned the lights out, but settled down to sleep afterward. He was good enough not to hop in bed with me to wake me up until just before the alarm went off.

Natasha isn't being allowed out at night yet (we've only been together a week), but in general she's pretty quiet after lights out.

Ebony rabbit (who is used to being outside) is busy but still quiet at night.

For Guy, being outside is a new experience and he thumps whenever a noise or scent bothers him, which IS noisy in the wooden hutch.

Jo xx

"They are all nocturnal, however they also adapted to our schedule and sleep also during the evening. "

Rabbits are not nocturnal, they are what's called, "crepuscular". This means that they are neither nocturnal like hamsters, nor are they diurnal like us. They are most active at dawn and at dusk. Although, they will have active moments during the middle of the day, and the middle of the night, they are generally pretty quiet during these times. I have 2 rabbits and I don't hear them at all during the night until just before sunrise. (when I feed them)
That being said, my bunnies have a 12' x 6' area to run around in. I don't recommend keeping them in a cage all the time, they need at least an hour of free run around time.
:) hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back