Baytril Given for Sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeppyTheHare

Reaction score
My newest bun Clover (female, californian/english spot, spayed, 1 year and 4 months old) had been sneezing since we got her from the shelter. Since the shelter covers up to 300 dollars within a week from adoption in vet services, I took her in to be seen.

They gave me 68 mg baytril taste tabs broken up in to 1/8th pieces. I was instructed to give her one of those pieces so (8.5 mg) twice a day for five days, crushed up, mixed with juice, and fed through a little plastic syringe.

So far It seems as though her sniffling and sneezing and head tilting has gotten better but she certainly still does it and I am almost out of medicine (about 6 pieces left)

I was just wondering if you guys had any tips on what I should be doing?

-Thanks

Your description is almost exactly what I went through with my first bun, Fiona. She'd been sneezing since we got her from the shelter, but Fiona sneezed right up until she passed away (from a metastasized mammary tumor, not because of her sneezing) and we never were able to figure out exactly what was wrong.
A lot of bacteria are resistant to baytril so it's not often prescribed, but it won't hurt in this case so it's worth a shot.
I'm surprised that they didn't compound the baytril tablets for you though. Crushing them and mixing them up yourself sounds like a hassle.
If she's not getting better, I'd take her back in and ask about a stronger antibiotic. The head tilting can also be a sign of a bigger problem.
Is the vet you're seeing rabbit savvy?

finish the antibiotics first then ask questions. This happens alot in the clinic. A couple of day worth is not going to make a difference you have to finish the full RX and if she doesnt seem to be improving then ask for a different antibiotic. This might include a culture to see what your bunny is sensitive too

The shelter requires that we bring our bun to the attached vet clinic for them to cover it entirely and yes it is quite a hassle actually, especially since it doesn't fully dissolve in the juice and I am sure it's not good for her anyways.

They told me she was their rabbit savvy vet but honestly I don't know. I'll take her in for an appt at our vet.

there is a liquid and injectable baytril also. Maybe call your vet and see if you can find an RX for something not in pill form

The liquid is easily available--anybody that treats small animals should have it. My shelter mixes it with banana flavor and will make up solutions even for hamsters. In any case, 5 days is not enough. A minimal course of Baytril for an upper respiratory infection is 14 days. If it doesn't improve while on Baytril within 3-4 days, the bacteria is probably resistant to baytril.

Keep on this disease because sneezing can be one of many things, like Christina mentioned. I have a bun that started with sneezing that responded to baytril but eventually had sneezing that did not. He has cancer of the thymus, a part of the immune system and an organ that is very centrally located. It is putting pressure on his heart and lungs and is a very serious condition. Tooth root infections can also lead to sneezing.

Latest posts

Back