Battle of the genders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perez28

Reaction score
Ok so again I don't have any rabbits yet but want one and I was wondering for a first time rabbit owner what gender of rabbit would b easier as my first I've heard that males are genteler but I've heard that females are easier to train so what do ya think I'm sure either can be great pets but for someone as inexperienced as me what's the best way to go:?

Each has their faults, but personally I would choose base on temperament and how well they can be handled.

My advice is go to a place that is willing to let you handle the rabbits. I would then see how well the rabbits interact with the handlers and with you. Granted you can work and gain the trust of ones that are skittish or even aggressive to being handled, but this method might help make choice easier.

I don't think one is better than the other. They each have their own pros and cons.
Males (bucks) then to be cheaper to neuter, but the behaviours of an intact buck can be worse. They tend to spray and hump more. An intact male might do 'love dances' around you as he is basically wanting to mate with you.
Females (does) are more expensive to spay and it is a more invasive procedure. Intact females can spray, but can also be territorial and hump. They also have a higher instance of reproductive cancer, so it is a very good idea to get them spayed if you are not breeding.
I don't really find one easier to train (litter or agility) than the other. Most of mine have been easy to litter train and the 1 that wasn't was about 4 when I got her. Both are affectionate, but some individuals may be more or less than others. 5 of the 7 rabbits I have had have been females, but that is just the way it worked out. Given the choice, my next rabbit will probably be a male.
Once spayed or neutered, there is little difference. You mat get some behaviours that are more one sex than the other, but they don't get the extremes like an intact rabbit would. For example, you might get some territory marking (especially if there is another rabbit around), but probably won't get the spraying.

Since this is your first rabbit, don't get hung up on the sex. Find a rabbit you like, or a breeder that you want to work with and go form there. If you go to a rescue, just visit with the rabbits and find one that you like and go form there.

I'm personally a fan of males as they seem more laid back. Females have a bigger personality, in my experience, which can sometimes mean being bratty or just mean being a diva. Many people love the girls because they're never boring, but then many love males because they're typically friendlier and more mellow.

It varies from bunny to bunny. Have had wonderful buns and problem children from both sexes. The two friendliest we've had were a male mini-rex and a female checkered giant.

Ya I heard males are easier to bond with but I will def be picking my bunny based one how he or she reacts to me one question that's a little off topic if someone had bunnies for adoption and they are 25 dollars is that a reasonable adoption fee or should I be worried about health problems is it like too cheap

Perez28 wrote:
Ya I heard males are easier to bond with but I will def be picking my bunny based one how he or she reacts to me one question that's a little off topic if someone had bunnies for adoption and they are 25 dollars is that a reasonable adoption fee or should I be worried about health problems is it like too cheap
25 dollars is pretty good for adoption. My cost for adopting Thor was 35. As for heath in the terms of cost. I wouldn't factor it if your adopting one from a rescue group or animal shelter. Prices are usually low, because they are trying to get the animals moved out and into homes. Also, they low becasue they are factoring in the cost of getting them neutered/spayed and supplies your getting to house your new rabbit.

Ya Thanx I actually started another thread about it lol anyhow I think I decided on a boy I just think in any animal boys end up more cuddly plus out of all my pets it's 3 girls against one boy not fair lol mugzy needs a brother Thanx guys for helping me out

Latest posts

Back