baths for bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamafern

Reaction score
north vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
we got our bun today and he has been livingoutdoors with a bunch of other rabbits for a few weeks and kindasmells.. will he clean himself (he has been grooming) or should i givehim a bath?..

and if yes, how do i go about it ..

:heart:fern & :brownbunny rabbit

Hmm this is mixed. Giving a rabbit a bath canput them into shock so you would have to becareful. Than again I haveheard of rabbits who like it.So I would just give him alittletime and see what happens. Than go from there.

Just my two :twocents

Alicia.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.When I first rescued Flower, she was (and don't tell her I told you)smelly. She'd been living in a lake of urine and fecesfor so long, her fur was stained yellow, she had TONS of mats in herfur, and had urine scalding on her hind legs. It was a heckof a smell to get used to (read: ignore and hope it went away soon),but ultimately, she bathed herself REALLY extensively for just about aweek straight, and it went away completely. She did a reallygood job all on her own.

And, like JadeIcing said...bathing a bun in water could have anot-so-happy result...best to just let him do his thing on hisown. Don't worry, he'll handle it just fine and will cleanthe smell away. :)

I recommend just using a wet cloth to washanything that he cant take care of himself. If his bottom is dirty etc,you can just wash it off a little for him.

A lot of bunnies do go into shock if you bathe them, so Id err on the side of caution. He should be able to clean himself up. ;)

This might sound really strange - but get rolledoats (like you'd feed them - the old fashioned quaker oats) and rubthem all over his fur. He might eat a few, that shouldn't bea problem - he'll love you even more!

A lot of cat breeders use rolled oats to clean cat fur before shows,also you can get wipes but I've not used those. I alwaysprefer natural solutions to chemicals of any kind for the bunnies, butif the oats don't work (those are cheaper as well!) then get a thing ofthose wipes and run one over his fur but don't rub it in - or at leastI wouldn't......

I sure wouldn't submerge or even get him real wet since he's just comethere - make things positive for now - the oats might be a hugepositive!

My bun doesn't mind being bathed. I normallywipe him down once a week with wet cloth but he recently walked throughsome cecals with his odd leg and I gave him a warm bath in the sinkwith about 3-4" of water in it. I only wet his rear and back legs buthe doesn't seem to mind. I think it all depends on the rabbit. Also Iused the hair dryer on cool to blow dry him afterword and gave him agood brushing. He seemed to enjoy playing with the blow dryer.

I just have a question to add. I don't mean to hijack the thread, hehe...

My buns are shedding like crazy, if I were to get a wet wash cloth andrun it over them, would it help with pulling the hair out?

Also, what kind of brush is best for shedding bunnies?

- Amy

Though the only of my three that'll let me useit is Trixie, a Zoom Groom brush (either the dog or the catkind...they're the same) is GREAT for helping take out sheddedfur. (As far as my other two not liking it, Flower is just toskittish, and Maisie doesn't need it.)

I think the washcloth idea is a good one, but you can also pet him/herwith damp (not dripping, but not dry) hands, and that removes a lot offur right there! That's what I have to do withFlower. :)

Ohh, I never thought to use my hands, duh! Itshould work well though, when I pet them now I get big balls of hairattatched to my hand, yuck. I will try it tomorrow before I put themback into their new (but dry) painted bunny room!

Where can I get this Zoom Groom brush?:)

- Amy

You can find one at just about any petstore inthe grooming section. Like I said, there are ones for dogsand ones for cats (same exact product). :) It'srubber, with little cones for bristles.

There was a post I had about it once, but I can't seem to find it. :?

Here's a picture of the cat version:

Hmm I bathed Little Hoppy Hoppy a couple oftimes and he didn't seem to mind it! I just put him in a few inches ofwarm water and gave his fur a nice wash (didn't get on his facethough). I used a wee bit of pet shampoo... he wasn't too happy when hewas out and cold and wet though! He was sooo fluffy and lovelyafterwards too :)

Of course, if I'd known bunnies could go into shock through being bathed I don't think I would have done it!!!

Fiona

Thank you for the picture, maherwoman! I willhave to see if I can find one. I have a horse curry comb....do youthink that would work too?

I wish I could bathe the buns! I have "critter" shampoo left over frommy rats when I bathed them....it smells like baby powder. MMMM, I lovethe smell. Eh, the buns don't smell anyway....just shedding like crazy!

I woke up this morning to do the usual "bunny chores" and looked intotheir bunny room and there was clumps of shedded hair EVERYWHERE! YUCK!

They will get a good brushing before going into their newly painted room way later tonight.

- Amy

I don't know what you want to do or how you wantto bathe the bunny but sometimes I put Katrina in the tub after I'vehad a shower and well I'm still standing in there. I'll put a littlebit of water in the bottom and just pull it slowly over her (makingsure not to get water on her ears, I don't know how rabbits are butguinea pigs ears are so sensitive that contact with too much water canruin them so I just go on that). She doesn't mind it and I think it'sbecause I'm in the water too and she trusts me so she's okay with it.

My buns are pretty calm guys....but it wouldmake me so nervous putting them in the tub. I would be afraid of themslipping and freaking out. I can just picture it happening to me:shock:.

How about those pet bath whipes? Any every tried them?

- Amy

Now, I don't have a lot of knowledge of currycombs, so please be patient with me. The only knowledge Ihave of what they are is from the google image search I justdid. If they're the rubber kind (that's basically the samething as the Zoom Groom), then I don't see how it wouldn'twork. :)

undergunfire wrote:
Thank you for thepicture, maherwoman! I will have to see if I can find one. I have ahorse curry comb....do you think that would work too?

You can pick up a cat slicker brush at justabout any pet store and they work fine on rabbits. I got mine around $5or $6. Just remember to be gentle and not press down too hard when youbrush them. Their skin is very sensitive.

Wallace

I'm thinking I might pick up both the Zoom Groomand a small slicker brush for them. A bit later today I will trygetting hair out of them before putting them back into their newlypainted bunny room. :)

- Amy

Katrina is not calm but she trusts me and she'sfine with me in there. She doesn't try to jump out or anything. I'mwatching over her so I would help her if something happened. I don'tknow. I see no problem with the tub.

Latest posts

Back