Bathe your bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive only ever wiped his bottom with an unscented baby wipe, i dont think he would like getting wet

Bathing bunnies shouldn't be done. It can cause ear infections and other issues. If you want to clean your rabbit you should get baby wipes unscented and use those.

Don't bathe bunnies it can cause issues and frighten them just clean off their bum or other area with a wet cloth. Just make sure nothing touches their ears 😊

In my opinion, bathing a rabbit wouldn't harm them if it's done properly or quickly.

I mean, in the wild, when the rain falls, I think it's impossible for them not to get wet or soak when it rain hard. They could find shelter, but I think they still could get wet, and very hard to dry or would take time for them to dry themselves up.

I'm no expert in a bunny myself, nor do I understand their behavior in the wild, but based on our weather, I believe that every creature in the world once in their life, do get wet.

Still, it's only my opinion... No offense meant:)

You can bathe your bunny, but only do so if the bunny is extremely dirty or smelly. Bunnies definetly do not enjoy a bath! You can also buy shampoo specifically for rabbits at pet stores, or you could use baby shampoo. Hope this helps :)

Ankle deep warm water is the way to go and I only do it if 1. My bun is way dirty or 2. It's part of my quarantine introduction. Otherwise it's a bum bath or dry shampooing. Also in cases if my rabbits get a bad case of fleas (I have cats and dogs and fleas are a common problem.) I wash them in my cat/kitten dog/puppy flea shampoo that everyone gets bathed in including my guniea pigs as I've never had a negative reaction and it's perfectly fine and makes them smell absolutely gorgeous with the added mite treatment as it kills fleas just the same.

I do have rabbits that I would NEVER bathe under any circumstance unless something severe happened that requires it without an option but than in saying that I have one that adores being bathed so much he flops out, drinks the water (Much to my shock.) and just laps up the luxury of warm soapy bath times. He was an odd one though, he has a thing for water as when he was nine weeks before he came in as an indoor bun he sat out in the rain and never stopped this bad habit. I mean the amount of times I bought him in and blow dried him. Silly thing, I think he's missing a screw or two!

Basically the two things to worry about when bathing a bun is them panicking and getting a draft but it's basically like that with anything I suppose being that they're more prone to shock and find it harder to regulate heat it makes sense. I honestly don't recommend it as I only do it under extreme circumstances and those buns are blow dried until every inch of them is dry not one strand is left. They're also extremely tedious to dry too.

I personally would never bathe a bunny especially after research. Rabbits are very easily put into shock which can kill them and bathing them I can imagine would cause a lot of distress. Whenever my rabbits have been in need of a clean I have filled a small bowl with warm water.. got some cotton wool pads and just held them and dabbed until they were clean.

Whenever Gandalf needs washing I use a wash cloth or cotton buds with a bit of small pet shampoo mixed with water on. I find it works better than just plain water especially if he has clumps of poo stuck to his fur (when he was ill his ceotrphs ended up smushed to him half the time). I think the key thing is not to stress your bunnies out and only to wash them when you really need to

Just because somebody else does something extremely dangerous with no bad results DOES NOT make it okay to do!
Please do not bath your rabbit.
We have had members on here whos rabbits have died as a result of being bathed.
Rabbits shouldn't need baths either.
If your rabbit is in need of a bath, its best to figure out why they need it before going any further.
They can clean themselves perfectly fine so they shouldn't really be getting dirty.
Dirty poopy bum? Solve the GI issues first.

Unscented baby wipes are as far as I would go, or a 'butt bath' but only if absolutely necessary. Otherwise, NO BATHS!

What about when my bunny sits in his litter box, and because he's an American White, his white fur goes brown? I tried to wipe it off, but the fur seems stained and bunny is not having any luck cleaning it by himself.

please do not bath you rabbit. it is very bad for them. they only times my rabbits get wet is if it rains out and they don't go into their box to stay dry, and if it is very hot out, i give them a quick dip in cool water to keep them cool. they seem to like that.

Toby, my disabled, incontinent bun needs butt baths to prevent scald and infections. I do not bathe him farther than his rear area tho. I use nothing but lukewarm water, no shampoo, bc I have read that even baby shampoo is too harsh for their skin, especially on red inflamed and irritated skin. (sulfates, the sudsing action in shampoos and cleansers are known carcinogens and are a harsh detergent-so I stopped using it altogether.) Toby also has seizures, so I have to be extra careful how I handle him...I cradle him in my left arm - close to my body, belly up, spine supported under my forearm, head close to my armpit, and same hand under his bum to provide optimum support. I clean him over the kitchen sink and use the adjustable nozzle to gently cleanse his "boy parts," belly, feet and hind quarters and I use my right hand to gently cleanse the fur and get out the ickies in his feet etc. I also have found that the water startles him, so I GENTLY introduce the water to his body to minimize his stress and to reduce the likelihood of a seizure. when all is said and done, I wrap him in a towel and gently press out the excess water from his fur, tail and feet. When he begins to groom himself, I will grab a comb and a dry towel and continue to dry him off. It's a lot of work and I do this sometimes twice a day, in addition to changing soiled towels, cleaning litter pans, and cleaning up urine spots on the carpet...I love my bun :)

Are you curious about handling techniques? Have you any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have an 8 week old mini dwarf lop who hops in the shower with me :-/ I don't shampoo her, and I don't put her in there, but if I leave the bathroom door open while I'm showing she hops right in. I didn't think the was normal. I do brush her twice a day though I think brushing is more important then bathing no?

I'm not sure if this can go on this thread, but I have tried to diaper Toby to min the stress impact of baths, but I can't seem to figure out how to keep it on him. I may be using one that is too small, or maybe he is still too active, I don't know. I am also causing his considerable stress just trying to figure out how to put it on him, just now I caused him two seizures, I just can't win for trying. :censored2: I'm exhausted from trying to give him a good quality of life, and I'm sure he is too since he probably has no idea I am trying to help him. Sigh. You guys have helpful advice on diapering???

I'm not sure if this can go on this thread, but I have tried to diaper Toby to min the stress impact of baths, but I can't seem to figure out how to keep it on him. I may be using one that is too small, or maybe he is still too active, I don't know. I am also causing his considerable stress just trying to figure out how to put it on him, just now I caused him two seizures, I just can't win for trying. :censored2: I'm exhausted from trying to give him a good quality of life, and I'm sure he is too since he probably has no idea I am trying to help him. Sigh. You guys have helpful advice on diapering???

Why does he need to be diapered???

Latest posts

Back