Barley having trouble adjusting to change

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley N. Hopps

Reaction score
I hope you can help me with this problem. Barley used to share the tv room with a chinchilla, who lived in his own cage - they did NOT like each other at all. My daughter also had her bedroom next to the tv room, but last weekend she moved out and took Alfie, the chin, with her, and now Barley is hardly eating and so I am worried.

I cannot get another rabbit as my hubby will have a fit if I get any more pets at this stage of our lives. Besides, there's no guarantee Barley would accept another rabbit, and I'm actually somewhat allergic to the hair.

I'm spending as much time as possible with Barley, hand-feeding him his favourite goodies, and he seems quite normal except that he's not eating as much as usual and so his litter box is showing a pitiful smattering of tiny poop pellets and only a little urine. It's been over a week now. Will he get over this upset soon?

Hahaha! Obviously you know where Barley's name came from, since you're a beer-maker. My daughter's idea of a little joke. In my research on the web and the ONE book I found on rabbit care, I only recall seeing that you can feed rabbits rolled oats as a little treat. Barley loves his good old-fashioned Quaker Oats, one ounce a day. I really don't know about the other grains. Their innards seem easily upset by certain things, like corn, so I wouldn't have the nerve to get too experimental!

When I went up to bed last night, I left Barley munching his oats, and he had a fresh bunch of Timothy Hay and a full salad bowl. When I checked on him this morning, all the food was pretty much as I left it. :( I really need to entice this bunny to EAT!!

Back