Barely any gut sounds. Now what?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
At 10 pm last night, my 2-year-old Cali boy was acting fine. (He'd eaten/drank/peed/pooped fine up to that point.) By 11 pm, he was reluctant to move and was acting as he typically does when he has gas: lethargic.

Figuring it was gas,I gave him two doses of Simethicone (an hour apart) prior to going to bed at 1:30 am. I also massaged his tummy and broke up some gas. (I believe it was in his cecum.)

When I woke today, I saw that he hadn't eaten/drank/pooped (between 1:30 am and 6 am). He was alsobreathing rapidly, so I knew that he was feeling pain.

I gave him another (a third) Simethicone dose right away, followed by Metacam about 20 minutes later.I alsogave him 55 cc's of sub-Q's.

It's 8 am, and I've broken up more gas with massage. I listened to his gut with my stethescope and barely heard anything, which may be due mainlyto pain.

I just ran another bunto the vet; so a part of me is reluctant to run in another one if it's not absolutely necessary. (My boy's acted poorly before and, then, been relatively okay by the time the vet saw him later that day. Ugh.)Still, I've never heard his gut so quiet before.

Thank you,

Jenk

Sorry no response yet. How's he doing? Maybe his gut just needed some time to get the water in there and get stuff moving.

tonyshuman wrote:
Sorry no response yet. How's he doing? Maybe his gut just needed some time to get the water in there and get stuff moving.

I called the vet when my boy neared the 12th hour of not eating/drinking/pooping. She squeezed him in for a visit--on her lunch hour, I suspect. She felt gas in him, but no overt sign of blockage or serious abdominaldistension.

Ironically, my guy started showing signs of perking up slightly just 15 minutes before we were to leave for the vet's office; obviously, I took him anyway.

Since arriving home, he's eaten2 Tbsp. of pellets (the total amount I put out for him today), some hay and his greens. He's alsopassed a good amount of normal-lookingfecals.

At this point, I may not even give him Probi, which the vet had suggested. (If a bun's gut starts working after not too long a time, I don't even like ply it with prebiotics/probiotics.)

Jenk wrote:
At 10 pm last night, my 2-year-old Cali boy was acting fine. (He'd eaten/drank/peed/pooped fine up to that point.) By 11 pm, he was reluctant to move and was acting as he typically does when he has gas: lethargic.

Figuring it was gas,I gave him two doses of Simethicone (an hour apart) prior to going to bed at 1:30 am. I also massaged his tummy and broke up some gas. (I believe it was in his cecum.)

When I woke today, I saw that he hadn't eaten/drank/pooped (between 1:30 am and 6 am). He was alsobreathing rapidly, so I knew that he was feeling pain.

I gave him another (a third) Simethicone dose right away, followed by Metacam about 20 minutes later.I alsogave him 55 cc's of sub-Q's.

It's 8 am, and I've broken up more gas with massage. I listened to his gut with my stethescope and barely heard anything, which may be due mainlyto pain.

I just ran another bunto the vet; so a part of me is reluctant to run in another one if it's not absolutely necessary. (My boy's acted poorly before and, then, been relatively okay by the time the vet saw him later that day. Ugh.)Still, I've never heard his gut so quiet before.

Thank you,

Jenk
start weighing your bun in the am and pm,,you can diagnose some what better--for input and output.//.you are correct,,about large intrusive gut sounds being painful-and yes-simethicone is supposed to help,,--it is the heavy breathing which concerns me,,--possibly upper respiratory problem,may be time for radiogragh,/antibiotics/probiotics,--using a stethescope you can hear the heart,lungs,,and gi tract,..keep me informed--sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back