Banging her litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petalfuzz

Reaction score
Hi!
Unlike the previous post about banging that was most likely thumping behavior, Chestnut is banging her litterbox.

Here's the set up: Her cage has a metal bottom. Inside is her hay feeder, food bowl, water bottle, and litterbox. Also room for her to lounge which she does often. It is open to her playpen which is about 4 x 7.

She picks up an end of the litterbox and drops it down again. Makes a loud noise. Then she repeats. For a long time! Twice per day or more she has "box banging time." Sometimes she dumps the box out, sometimes she removes the box from the cage altogether. Sometimes she pushes it to the other end of the cage so it blocks her hay and the "high" side is facing out instead of the "low" side.

How can I make her stop? How can I discipline her without getting her all psyched out about using the box? Obviously if it's upside down she can't use it. I've told her that but she looks at me like, "I make the messes and you clean them up!"

I've drilled holes in the box and tied it to the cage but she just chewed the ties off. I've tried magnets to hold the box to the metal cage floor but she's stronger than the magnets. If yelled at, clapped at, whistled at she will stop but only for a second. She is truly the master of her own domain and will not listen to her mommy.

Any help at all? Sympathy at least? I already change the box twice/day so the issue isn't that the box isn't clean enough, I hope!

Back