Bandit ate tape...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
The title is pretty self-explanatory. He found a piece of tape on his cardboard box that I didn't realise was there. I heard it crinkling as he chewed it, but when I went to take it away, he growled at me. Because he's never growled at me before, it surprised me and I pulled back. So then I tried to push his head down so that I could get the tape, he growled again, and next thing you know, it's all gone.

I can't say how big of a piece it was, maybe an inch square at a guess. But I'm really hoping that he passes it alright. If anyone has any helpful tips I would appreciate it. He seems perfectly fine at the moment, eating hay well etc but it was only less than 2 hours ago that he ate the tape. I'm currently looking into where I would take him if needed since my usual vet is closed today.

He had better pass that tape :p

If it helps, Merlin's consumed more than his fair share of cardboard tape in his time, and he's still kicking around. You will see it when it passes, it'll be two poops joined together with a brown twisted rope of tape. Fingers crossed for Bandit!

I don't know that there is much a vet will do at this point, if he isn't showing any symptoms of stasis. About all you can do while you wait, is encourage good gut motility. If you reduce treats and pellets a bit, this will cause him to eat more hay(and just ensure that he actually is eating more hay), which will increase gut motility. Also make sure he is drinking water well. Then just keep a close eye on his eating and pooping, to make sure there is no obvious changes or reduction.

Pesky little buns! Always finding new ways to get into trouble :p

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't going to take him to a vet at this stage, only if he stopped pooping/eating or looked uncomfortable etc. He hasn't got anything in with him at the moment except for hay and last time I checked he was nibbling away and there were poops in his tray, I'll have to check through it thoroughly for pieces of tape :p

Thanks for the support, I can't believe he wouldn't let me take it from him either. :pullhair:

Things seem to be going semi-ok. I went in to check on him and found him laying flat in his litter tray, and he never lays down in his tray unless he's not feeling well. I petted him for a while and he just sat there, I needed to check for poops so picked him up for a moment and there was 20 or so normal looking poops (from the last 2 1/2 hours), I couldn't dig to check for tape since I was holding him and I put him straight back down in the tray. After a bit more petting it seemed to make him feel a little better and he's resumed eating hay. So he's definitely not feeling well, but at least things still seem to moving through.

Poor little Bandit. I'm sure he won't be eating any tape again! I hope he's feeling better now.

Thanks Pani :) He seems to be doing a lot better now, when I just went in to check on him he came running over to me, then we cuddled for a while before he gave me lots of licks. I got him some fresh hay and he instantly started devouring it, so he must be feeling alright. Plenty of healthy poops in his box, I have no idea what happened to the tape, but I'm guessing he must have managed to chew it up pretty well because I haven't seen any and it should have come through by now.

I'm not so sure that he wouldn't eat tape again, from the way he growled, perhaps he thought it was really tasty? :p

Bandit recovered perfectly well from his tape episode :p Thank goodness, oh how the bunnies can worry us.

Back