Bales of Timothy... Bad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Steve

Reaction score
So, is there any difference in the 12 bag of Oxbow verses the $12 bale of hay that's like 60lbs? I'm sure there'll be some hard straws in the bale, but if I were to pick out the tree branches, the bale seems like a much better value. Is there a reason I shouldn't give this to a rabbit?

I buy the $10 mini bale at my local feed store. I live in an agriculture area, and it is good quality, stored dry. My bun seems to enjoy it.

We get our bales for $10 from a local guy around here and to be honest, they prefer it over any store bought hay. If I offer them some of the farmer hay we get and some Oxbow, they turn their noses up at the Oxbow and start gorging themselves on the farmer hay.

It all depends on quality. Make sure it is a good bale (Smell it to make sure it smells like hay, no dust, no mould, make sure that where they store it is in a good, dry area, etc.) and the hay on the inside of the bale is nice and green. The stuff on the outer edge may be yellowed and that's fine as long as the inner layer is nice and green.

You said there are branches in it? Are there a lot (I'm assuming these are tree branches...?) because that doesn't sound like too high quality of a bale. If there's maybe 5 per bale, it's probably not too much of a problem though, just pick them out.

Well for starters there shouldnt be tree branches in a good bale of hay.

I just picked up 100 lbs of Orchard grass for $10 and no bag of pet store hay can beat this quality.

Like Amanda said, just make sure its good quality. Theres nothing wrong with buying a bale vs a bag as long as you get a good quality bale. I've seen some bales some people have picked up and were selling after their pet died.... and I instantly know why their pet died. When you pick up a bale from a feed store or farm, it should look the same or better then what youre buying at the pet store. Also make sure to ask whats in it, alot of bales will be a timothy alfalfa mix and you dont want the alfalfa for adult buns so find a bale thats 100% ______ whatever youre looking for. Look to pay more from a hay importer, but you can usually find nicer hay from them. And just because a bale is cheap doesn't mean you should go for it, often the cheaper bales that are okay for feed cattle aren't very good for our pet buns.

If you have horses around you they might also be a good source of hay. I get my 100% timothy from a horse farm. It's $7.50 for 60 pounds. It is green and smells like fresh cut grass. My kids love it and won't eat store bought hay anymore. There are some thicker pieces than others (much longer than the bags at the store) but no tree branches or anything that doesn't look like hay.

I wish I had room to buy hay bales.. I live in Washington/Idaho where some really good timothy hay comes from, but alas I have absolutely no room to store an entire bale. Plus my roommate has allergies to hay as does my dog, so I have to buy the smaller sealable bags...

LaylaLop wrote:
I wish I had room to buy hay bales.. I live in Washington/Idaho where some really good timothy hay comes from, but alas I have absolutely no room to store an entire bale. Plus my roommate has allergies to hay as does my dog, so I have to buy the smaller sealable bags...
If you get a nice big christmas tree rubbermaid bin the hay can be stored in there outside. I keep all mine in the back of my truck. Where you store it doesn't have to make sence, so long as its a dry area :) My orchard grass is from Washington, stunning stuff wish it grew like that up here.

You all pay arm and leg for hay! I only pay $4.00 60# timothy, barn stored bale in Central New York. You can buy hag bags from horse suppliers, I've stored mine on pallets with tarp when I had horses, now use plastic shipping containers stores use to ship product in. Check mine by sticking my hand as far, I can in the center pulling clump out check it for: color, smell ( hint of mold walk away) texture, and shouldn't be cloud of dust when you drop the bale. Do to all the rain this year I've salted the out sides of the bale to keep it from molding,lavender wormwood sprigs to keep the mice away.

Thanks everyone for the information. My bunny recently passed away from stasis, and we're thinking of adopting. Nibbles captured our hearts, and even though our vet told us there's nothing we did wrong, I keep thinking I did or didn't do something. When we adopt, I really don't want to make any mistakes that might jeopardize the health of our new bunny. I gave her hay from a feed store... and it seemed to be good quality. I live in million dollar quarter horse country. But I wasn't 100%. And no there weren't tree branches in it, lol... just thicker stalks. I just wanted some reinforcement. Thanks again everyone.

I'm sorry to hear of Nibbles' passing. May she rest in peace.

And Watermelons, I have absolutely no room on my tiny balcony/stairwell to store the hay and it's not covered so it'd risk getting damp/moldy even in a container. My landlord would probably object to it as well for stairwell code, etc.. I really don't have a whole lot of room and I'm kind of OCD about things being in their place and it wouldn't fit.. so for now she'll live off mini bales until I have more room in like 7-8 months time considering I'm moving and I'm hoping to have a whole pet-room for my critters to live in and for me to store supplies.

make sure it is stored in a dry area where it cant get wet, if wet itll mold and kill your rabbit. makes horses colic.
if its got any shiny/shimmery green stands its moldy and not good.
its cheaper because its for horses and livestock...where they dont wanna pay a bunch of $ and people with small pets buy expensive hay cause they dont know any better or sometimes because of quality in their opinion is better because of brand name.
look on craigslist in farm and garden section for hay and you should find some even better buys there and a local guy to supply you as needed

LaylaLop wrote:
I'm sorry to hear of Nibbles' passing. May she rest in peace.

And Watermelons, I have absolutely no room on my tiny balcony/stairwell to store the hay and it's not covered so it'd risk getting damp/moldy even in a container. My landlord would probably object to it as well for stairwell code, etc.. I really don't have a whole lot of room and I'm kind of OCD about things being in their place and it wouldn't fit.. so for now she'll live off mini bales until I have more room in like 7-8 months time considering I'm moving and I'm hoping to have a whole pet-room for my critters to live in and for me to store supplies.
Sometimes you can find people on craigslist and what not who have purchased a full bale and are selling some off, more expensive then buying a bale but cheaper then buying a bag :) I was going to do this with mine but got to lazy *cough*

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Some feed stores sell flakes of hay for $4-$5. 

Or buy the whole bale for $5.00 and take out a few flakes home and you are still ahead of the game. There is around 10-12 flakes in a bale. I can put 3 flakes into an apple box to let you know how much hay it is.

Is there anyone near you who might be willing to split a bale? You can share the cost and each get 1/2 (or whatever you decide to do). It would still be cheaper than store bought or even buying a few flakes from a feed store, without it going to waste. You can try looking on craigslist or something to see if anyone is willing. A breeder may also be willing to split a bale if needed.
If you know someone with a garage, you can ask if they will store it for you. Even if it is just one bale at a time it can be worth it. I would put it in a large bin without the top to keep it good. Large (and I mean really big) garbage bags with holes punched in it could also work and would only take up as much space as the hay that is left. Just make sure you can get the hay when you need to or work something out so you go every couple weeks.

Watermelons wrote:
funnybunnymummy wrote:
Some feed stores sell flakes of hay for $4-$5.Better value than mini bales, but small enough to fit into a closet or whatever.

Hope that helps!

Rue
Is that how you're buying it Rue?

Id be happy to sell you some yummy yummy orchard grass for much less lol

Not usually, but Gus just finished a bale a few weeks back and Ihaven't gone to get him another yet. :p

Incidentally, this yummy orchard grass from Washington State that you have, did you have to go south of the border to get it? (And if so, where? ;) )

Thanks!

Rue

Nope, i picked it up from a hay transport company (family) in Langley on 224th and prettymuch at 0ave.
http://www.wraytontransport.com/
Super awesome to deal with, really nice, and she sold me a broken bale, so a 85lb bale of orchard would normally cost about 20, i ended up getting more then 85 for only $10 and this stuff is amazing. My demons seems to love it.
Another company ive had good luck talking to that brings in hay is TNT hay sales, but their chilliwack, bit to far for me. Im personally not very fond of most of the local stuff we have here.

Crestie002.jpg

Heres the orchard grass. Nice long strands.

Latest posts

Back