Baled Hay for Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandLops

Reaction score
I have been thinking about buying sq. bales for the rabbits here for the winter, and I have a few little questions.

Is it safe to buy just from a local farmer?

What hay or hay mix should I get?

What is a good price range?

How do I store it properly?

I have found a local farmer here that has Tim/Clover mix for 3.50 and then a guy not to far away from him that has Tim/Orch. Mix for 3 a bale. I have never done this and it would save me a load of money, but I wanted to make sure it was safe and the right mix. I have always just gotten my hay from offline, but it's just getting to pricey!

I need a high fiber hay also, what is the best?

Baled hay is great for rabbits.
I would go for the timothy/orchard grass mix. Get a few bales, especially if you have a few buns. Grass hays are the best, and timothy and orchard grass are both good choices. I am not sure about the fibre content, but you can look it up and go form there. As it is from a farmer, it can vary from the % listed on the internet, mostly due to growing conditions.

I figure that I go through about 1 bale per bun per year, so I buy 3-4 bales at a time and it lasts about a year.

:yeahthat:

Ok thanks, we are going to buy it this week, if it ever stops raining!! I was figuring at least 4-5 bales, just get get us though the winter, that is with about 16 bunnies. (average).

Latest posts

Back