Baldness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimples1967

Reaction score
Hi! New bun owner. Have a 9 week on English angora (or so I thought, vet says more like 5). Anyway, since bringing him home the back of his neck has gone bald and the base of his ears. Vet said she didn't see any mites and his ears are clear. He seems like he scratches quite a bit, though... Is he gonna go bald and I'll have to knit him and angora sweater? Help!!!

No scraping. Vet didn't seem concerned.. Said to watch for mites. Ugh.. Said its normal for some angoras to have a bald patch there.. Itching seems to be down, though... I bought him at a fiber festival. The guy told me he was the runt, but he didn't seem smaller than any of the rest of his liter. He has a sharpie tatoo in his ear, so I assume they kept track of when he was born. He told me he was 8 weeks old then.. Vet said he was way too small to be 9 weeks. He seems happy and healthy, eating, drinking, peeing, POOPING, and growing. I guess I will just wait and see. If it gets worse, I will take him back to the vet. I don't think she wanted to do much since he's so young. Said I will know for sure how old he is when his testicles drop, which is 11-12 weeks. I wonder if he's allergic to something in my house. The vet did say, no potpourri, no scented candles, no air freshener.. I have all of these things!! I will try to post a picture. Like I said, I have never had a rabbit and had no idea what to expect. Thanks!

I'm glad it seems to be clearing up. Are you planning to have him outside at all? I'm not sure I'd do so until you're sure he's ok, especially if you live where there are wild rabbits. You can assume there are parasites in their droppings. To keep Honey healthy here in the country, I sprinkled food-grade diatomaceous earth on the grass in the outdoor pen area, then waited a day or 2 before taking her there for a visit. DE is harmless to all but insects.

Hay is a good potpourri

I think he's gonna be an inside bunny because we have our grass treated. It doesn't seem to be getting worse at ths point, so wait and see is what I am doing. Thanks for the advice. I never knew rabbits would be such work!

Latest posts

Back