Balding Baby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Depatie****

Reaction score
:)We recently started mydaughter breeding mini rex bunnies! We were with the impression thatwith the smaller breeds of bunnies not too many survived and so wedidn't expect much.

:DThen she had her first 3 litters! 5 in one, 7 in anotherand 9 in the last! Wow were we excited! All of these are first littersand are doing great, we only lost one and I think it was because it gotsomething in it's throat because it was choking, we put it to sleep.

:?The only one that has me confused is Madaline's little Runtit's always been a bit bald on the top of it's head and it's even morenoticable now that it's a bit older. This little one is 4 weeks old inthis picture. If anyone has any idea of why this is please let usknow.It's very happy, healthy and energetic and all just abit baldis all.

Thanks

The bald spot could be from any number ofcauses. Many Mini Rex lines carry different mutations of thehairless gene, with some completely loosing all their fur as theyage. The bunny (being a runt) may have a healthcondition that has resulted in the bald spot. Mites,bacterial and fungal infections can also cause balding.

The "choking" response you noted in the dying baby is commonly seen,and not necessarily due to actually choking or anything being in thethroat. As they are dying and gasping for air, they will opentheir mouths wide and often squeak.

Pam N.

Thank-you for your reply...this little one seemstotally healthy and very engertic, not scratching or anything...so doesthis mean that you think it probablyhas a gene that cause thebald spot? otherwise fine? this gene wouldn't cause any other healthrisks would it?

It *may* be genetic and he is likely to havehealth issues due to the fact that he's unusually small (the runt) --that in itself indicatesa possibleabnormality.

Pam

One of my babies also has a bald spot - He too isvery energetic and other from that is perfect - he seemed to have thisfrom birth, no hair grew there. He however was one of the largest inthe litter so it wasn't because he was the runt. I thought itmaybe the result from mites or fleas as theywereoutdoors at the time of noticing but after a thourgh check there wereno signs of anything.Perhaps if you carry on being concerneda trip to the vet would be in order - just to make sure :).

Thanks, he is smaller than the rest but notextreemly just noticabley so...he always was a bit smaller and alwayshad the bald spot...I'm not really worried about his health other thanthe bald thing Just trying to make sure that it's not from anunderlying, undetectable problem.

Thanks All

On the subject of losing hair... Henry's hairseems to be thinning out round the bottom of his ears and below hiseyes. Could it be that he's scratching it off or that he'smoulting in the hot weather? Do rabbits moult?

Hi Delphinum,

Rabbits do moult/shed.?

Have you looked at the possibilities of it being ear or fur mites?? Howold is the rabbit?? Do you notice any flaking of skin?? Any crustinessin his/her ears?? That would be a sign of mites.? Ivermectin workswonders with fleas, fur mites, ear mites, etc.? Below I've copied anote I had sent about how to deal with ear mites.?

Earmites is what it sounds like with such a description.

There are a couple of ways to treat it. Ivermectin 1.87% is a horseworming paste that works very well with given a pea-sized dollop on thefore paw. (You might check with your fet for the appropriate dosage forthe weight of your rabbit.) The rabbit will lick it off and within 3treatments, it eliminates ear and fur mites, worms and fleas. A tube ofit can cost anywhere from $8-$20 in the U.S.A. You can find it in afeed store, pet supply store, or an equestrian store.

Other folks that like to go the organic route will treat with mineraloil. A drop in each ear. The mites pores get clogged and it sufficatesthem.

VetRx made for Rabbits has also been effective for me and Pamnock has had good luck with it as well in treating for ear mites.

My veterinarian gave me some Earidimite and it was only $5 and workedexcellent. I didn't have to get a perscription for it, they sold itright to me at my animal hospital.

Keep us posted.

"Most rabbits have fur mites to some degree but never show signs." -Pamnock

-Carolyn

He's not got flaky skin or anything, he justlooks like he's got a beard growing at the bottom of his chin coz thehair's thinner. His ears seem clear too. Hold onI'll just take a pic with the digital camera and post it.

Delphinum:

Watch for any flaking (mites) or skin irritation/baldness (sings offungal infection), however, I'm guessing that he's just going through anormal moult (which starts at the head and works its way back).

Pam N.

hey no problem! anytime :D

thanks so far it seems he's just got a gene that gives him the baldspot it's not getting bigger or anything but it isn't getting smaller.I just wanted to know so that we didn't get all attatched to it only tofind that we'll wake up to it dead one morning or something ... thatwould be terrible!:shock:

Aww I'm sure he'll be okay. He lookslovely! And when he gets older, just tell him that he looksdistinguished and that bald men are very attractive... use Sean Conneryas an example! Hee hee! :D;)

:( As it turned out the poor little guyjust kept getting balder. Behind and under his ears and downhis back. So we took it as a sign that something was verywrong and we put him to sleep, just thought I'd let everyoneknow. It was very sad but we decided that next time we noticesomething like this on one of the babies that we will put them to sleepright away so that they don't have to go through all that time gettingworse. Also we don't get too attatched.

It's one thing to get attatched and loose them to a new home.It's another thing to get attatched and have to loose them this way.

This desicion was left up to my daughter who is seven going on eight(the owner and breeder)it's a hard one to make but she newwhat was best (I'm very proud of her itwould have been a veryhard choice even for me).

We're Sad in Edmonton...but he's in a better place. :?

Latest posts

Back