Bald Spots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassnessxox

Reaction score
I have been brushing my girl a lot lately as it is summer here and she has a very thick coat. To my horror I found a large bald spot down her back last night. Looking at her normally you can't see it because her long hair covers it. I'm not sure if I should be worried or if she is moulting.

I'm not sure what breed she is, Dutch markings but long fluffy coat. I somewhat rescued her from a petshop because her coat was in such poor condition.

I'm attempting to attach photos I just took on my phone.

Hi fellow Perthie! :wave:

It's quite warm right now, so I'd be leaning towards thinking that she's just going through her summer molt. Posting a picture couldn't hurt if you're concerned!

Wow, never thought I'd find someone else from Perth!!

Her skin looks normal, no sign of parasites, flaking, itching or redness. I just really want to brush all that loose fur out and thin out her coat but I'm terrified that I'm just pulling her fur out :shock:

This is her bald spot and how her coat looks.

WP_20140122_001.jpg

CLeo at the Park.jpg

I'm sure if you were pulling the fur out, she'd probably be showing some signs of distress or moving away from the brush. :)

Well she doesn't like the brush so it's hard to tell!! Lol she clearly wasn't brushed when she was younger and dumped because of her high maintenance coat, I'm trying to get her used to it but she just buries her head behind my leg. Don't even get me started on brushing the knots out from under her chin!!

Some rabbits just molt more heavily than others, which can create temporary bald spots. As long as there is no flaking or skin irritation, it should be fine. It might be worth it to get her fur clipped, for easier maintenance. Either by a groomer with experience clipping rabbits, or at your vet. It will also help to keep her cool since it is warm weather for you this time of year.

Latest posts

Back