Bald spots, when should I start panicking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuppa

Reaction score
Hi, here's Bernie, she's 9 months old lop was an outdoor rabbit since 3 months until about 10 days ago when I got her. She comes from a very nice family with 3 girls that have no more time for her unfortunately so their mother decided to re-home her. She had her vaccination for myxomatosis some weeks ago when it was cold, she's a gorgeous and very healthy looking girl, very placid, just doesn't like me to enter her cage but otherwise likes me and let me hold her and brush her coat.
Yesterday I discovered a small spot on her side that looks like I am not too sure how vaccination looks like or maybe it was an insect or something, there's bold spot around it and it looks like dry and no irritation signs around it, could it be just where she had her shot or should I start panicking?

Now that she lets me touch her everywhere I've inspected her carefully and found that she also has some kind of irritation on her feet well she was outdoor in her hutch all the time I think she had it before she came to live with me, now she's indoor all the time and very clean cage and all, the only she is digging her litter box lately and covers her cage with hay and wood pellets from it, maybe it was like in her hutch I have no idea, I clean her cage and checking if there's wet spot I remove it, I will have to think how to rearrange her toilet, but generally all the floor is now covered with hay and wood pellets underneath.

My question would be, is there anything I could get from pharmacy to treat the irritation spots on her feet? Or maybe use some natural remedies I thought of chamomile compress but I don't know how to use it, maybe something like baby nappy cream with rosemary would work? It doesn't look that much serious to be honest I don't want to go to vets with it, would you suggest some easy treatment please?

I will try to attach some photo as well.
P1030555.JPG P1030524.JPG P1030519.JPG

A spot from the vaccination is possible. If there is a small sore there, I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected or form a lump, and maybe put a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment(not the one with added pain relief) if I felt it was needed. If there are no signs of dandruff, lesions, or crusty skin, if the skin pretty much looks pink and normal, I wouldn't jump to trying to treat anything just yet, as it's not likely to be a parasite causing it. I would just keep an eye on everything. It's likely everything will improve over the next few weeks and her fur will start growing back in. If it worsens and you start seeing flaky or crusty skin, then yes get to the vet for treatment for, a likely case of mites.

I use homemade screens to cover my rabbits litter to prevent digging, then their hay just goes on top of that. The screens are made from plastic window pet screening(made to resist pet damage) with hard plastic edging attached, but I've also used the plastic cross stitch canvas with good results. It's worked really well for my rabbits. I also provide a dig box that is a cardboard box with an entrance and exit hole cut in, the bottom lined with several layers of newspaper, and also filled with crumpled newspaper. They like to go in there and dig in it and shred the newspaper some more. It's not terribly messy as most of it stays contained to the box, and if they pee in it I just change out the newspaper and sometimes also the box, as needed.

Skin looks healthy like it is healing spot, I will keep an eye on it, thanks for suggestions.

I actually made the same insert for the cat litter box and placed it over wood pellets and some soiled hay in one corner and it worked for both my girls, only the litter box needs to be higher as there's urine behind the box so I've decided to improve it but couldn't find suitable insert for it, I keep looking if i could find something right size.
Here's a photo black box with wood pellets and green insert, some hay seen in the black box it's because I just lifted green insert to take photo, it was used for about 3-4 days, hay was on top of the green insert. - This is Smokey's toilet, but Bernie's was the same before I changed it a coupe days ago.

It is not perfect I am still experimenting because my other lop is 4 months now she's still growing and I had to give her a bigger box instead of her corner toilet so made this one for her, and the same one for my new girl Bernie, but Bernie is 9 months and she's a bit bigger than Smokey.
They will be about the same size when fully grown I believe.

Here's how Bernie's cage looked a couple days ago, her toilet box was red but with the same green insert as Smokey's (black one)P1030366.JPG ).

smokeysbox.jpg Smokey's black box

Last edited:
Now I made box of clear storage box just cut a hole and she likes it there's place to hide from me and she also likes laying on top of it. It's a bit dark photo but you can see all the hay from her box is in the middle, I will see how it goes a couple more days where she goes

P1030569.JPG

Back