Bald Spot?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nic_1357

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have owned a rabbit that I found on the streets for almost two years, and just recently adopted another rabbit. A couple days ago I noticed a strange bald spot on my first rabbit, near the back. I thought about them fighting, but yesterday they were sitting near each other, grooming each other, and the newer rabbit even put his head under my first rabbits chin and laid down there. Please i need to know what to do! I've never owned two rabbits at the same time before. Thanks!

2013-01-24 19.44.02.jpg

I know rabbits can get mange which can cause hair loss and irritation. I'm not sure about identifying it. In dogs you treat it with ivermectin, but I don't know about bunnies. Sorry I couldn't be more help. That is way awesome you found your bun and kept it :D What's the whole story of your two meeting :pleaseplease: ?

If the skin is flaky around there, it could be mites. It could be from a little scuffle too, and now it's resolved and they are getting along again. Are they male? Female? And are they spayed/neutered?

Or it could be ringworm. Is there a flaky, soapy looking bunch of bits? In any case, a vet visit might be the thing. Last year, two out of six here got it out of the blue but medicine from the vet cleared it up and only two of ours got it--go figure, as they are never out of the house or their room.

Another possibility: stress or anxiety. Or, some rabbits just like to lick things.

Do they live together? If so, For how long? What sexes are they both? How big is/are the living area(s)? How much excerise does the rabbit in question get? Did your rabbit have any changes in her diet? Are there noises or changes around your home that could lead to the upset to your rabbit? Have you changed the location of their living area?
There are plenty of little stress-related problems that might cause your bun to overgroom (if it is because of stress, that is!)

One of my small rabbits began an obsession with licking, out of the blue, so I decided to try something easy at first. I bought a salt block at my pet shop and that actually got rid of her bad habit. It could be something small, or may be stress, or may be something the other members posted above. Consider these things and keep a close eye on your bun for the next few days :)

Latest posts

Back