bald patches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
My new rabbit's fur was unbelievably knotted when I got him, in particular around the neck. It took me three days off extensive brushing to get all the knots out. Looking at him I'm quite shocked by his appearence. he has huge bald patches around the neck and because he is still very skinny he looks almost deseased:(
On top of it he has a graze on his nose - a bit off fur missing and it's a bit raw but wasn't bleeding. We suspect Benny must have tried to bite him through the fence, but didn't see it happening. He actually spends an awful lot of time grooming himself and I am wondering is he causing the bald patches himself. I don't remember leaving him in such a state when i was finished grooming him. The poor fellow he had such a fantastic mane but it was all disguised super thick knots and tangles, I couldn't have left them?
Could he have some other condition or is it just the skin and fur re-adjusting?

For now I would suspect that it is a result from all the grooming ...wait at least a few days to see if his appearnace improves

Iwould also take a small amount (less than a drop)of diluted betadine and clean his nose or even plain water
I, personally, am terrified of infections fom bites anywhere.

You'd probably see scaly skin, dandruff, redness, or dirty-looking stuff there if there was a skin condition as well. A bit of betadine or neosporin might be good on the nose.

I dont know, it could be something like mites. Is the fur growing back? Sometimes the reason they are grooming (possibly itching) themselves is due to mites. Id keep an eye on him for now and if its not growing back get him to the vet.

I don't know how quickly their fur grows. I did all the grooming a few days ago. I expect that he enjous the grooming himself now much more because his fur isn't all that matted anymore. I just feel really sorry for him, when he stretches his neck he looks like a plucked turkey:(
He's booked in for the vet on monday anyhow so I'll see what she thinks

I had a shelter bunny home with me who was surrendered to the shelter bonded with a guinea pig.

The bunny had a lot of fur missing from his back and I didn't know if it was fur mites or the guinea pig. it turned out to be the pig chewing on the bun (I had to break the bond), however the rabbit was relieved and we bonded the pig to another guinea pig.
it took several weeks before I saw a thin film of hair regrowing on the rabbit.
if you are going to the vet he can check for other parasites but i would guess that the hair will return on its own.
Another ex. is a shelter mini-lop who was not kept well and had some matted fur on his back., I brushed him a lot, removed a lot of hair and their were bald patchesbut within a few weeks new hair grew back.

Latest posts

Back