Bald kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenson

Reaction score
Two of these kits are from Mulch's litter, and one is from Missy's who killed the rest of hers so I gave it to Mulch. Anyway, they're a little small due to Mulch having a problem with her milk, but they got fed twice a day from Missy until they opened their eyes. They're eating on their own now and are doing okay, but look at the one on the end!

_MG_8949kits.jpg

It's from Mulch licking them so much. She doesn't leave them alone if they're out of the nest, and once they go back to bed she licks me instead. The other two are also starting to get bald spots.

Any ideas on how to make her stop before I end up with a hairless kit?

I think it looks really cute bald though. :D

They're all Standard Rex. The blues are from my blue doe, and the one that looks like an English is from my dalmation Rex.

She killed the rest of the litter, but she had one kit there with near perfect English markings, it was just missing the elbow spots!

I wonder if English marked Rex are showable? Hehe. :biggrin2:

You can remove the nestbox and babies from the Does cage and just bring them back for feeding twice a day. She won't reject them and she'll have less time to "lick them clean". After feeding, only leave them with her for 10 minutes and then take them away. Bring them back twice a day, keep them safe in their own place, in between.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. It's REALLY cute!

They are no longer getting any milk from the doe. She had very little milk during nursing and I had to feed them from another doe twice a day. They have a bottle on the cage to give them a helping hand as they're pretty small for their age. They're spending a lot of time out of the nest and eating solids now. So I could take them out and leave them out now, but the doe got very depressed when she had one kit and it died last time, so I'm worried about seperating them. Do you think it's worth taking them out now or just waiting until she stops licking them?

BlueGiants wrote:
You can remove the nestbox and babies from the Does cage and just bring them back for feeding twice a day. She won't reject them and she'll have less time to "lick them clean". After feeding, only leave them with her for 10 minutes and then take them away. Bring them back twice a day, keep them safe in their own place, in between.

If she isn't nursing them, you can take them away and see how she does... it may not bother her now that she's "raised" a litter. You can always put one back in a few hours a day to make her feel better.

I don't know whether this is practical or sensible or not (probably not, on second thoughts with their digestive systems).

What I was going to wonder about was putting a tiny bit of something like sudocreme on their bald areas to maybe discourage her from licking and protect their little blad heads (aw) and blad any where-elses. Not sure that's sensible though given that they other kits would be able to get to it.

Or anyway you could make some sort ofarea where she can see them but not access them?

Yes that's what I was thinking, find something that won't hurt them but she won't like licking off. Does anyone know what would be safe to use?
Knowing fatty Mulch she'd probably eat Sudocreme. :biggrin2:

The hiding place is a good idea. I could make them a box with a hole that they can fit through but Mulch can't reach. If that doesn't work then I will take them out and give the least bald one to Mulch for a few hours a day.

:bunnyheart it's all just bunny lurrrve!!! HAHA that is so funny that she is doing that. this is crazy talk. look at that bald spot, its so perfect circle looking HAHA.

fatty mulch...awwwww mulchy :(

tracy and nemo

Hehe, that's so problem I think, she just loves everything too much! She's such a happy and loving bunny. She licks my hands and face like mad, it's so cute. I get jealous when she does it to my boyfriend though, I like to pretend she does it because she loves me. :p

Yeah she is a good mamma, bless her! At first we thought she was being a rubbish mam when the kits were dying off, until I realised she was trying her hardest and just didn't have enough milk! Bless her little heart. :(

How are these kits doing?

I think Cloud has been taking lessons from Mulch, both his bonded friends have bald patches from him overgrooming. they don't look as cute though, lol.

gentle giants, I've actually been calling him, "Little Old Man" because of that! I think that name will stick for life.;)

They're doing good thanks Tracy. They're still with mamma, as they wern't eating as well in the house, they tend to eat whenever Mulch is eating (all the time!) so I thought they're better off with her. The bald one has since developed a bald patch down his spine too, but the fur on his head it starting to grow back a bit, and the other two have lost their little bald bits.

They're still tiny for their age, I think they're 5 weeks now and they look more like 3, but they're eating well and practicing their binkies so I think they'll be okay! :D

I'll take some more photos of them tonight and post them here if you want to see them now. :)

Yup, she even follows him round licking him sometimes! I think it's just him because he's the biggest and most active, he spends more time bumbling around than the other two, so she notices him more. She does lick the other two, but most of the time they're snuggled up together while the bald one is running round.

She licks me all the time too, everytime I put my hand in her hutch she's licking me, if I go to give her a kiss on the nose she'll start licking my face. It's really cute! :D

Could you maybe give her a salt lick or something to lick like that? It might distract her from the kit.

Latest posts

Back