Baked Bunny Treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petkeeper

Reaction score
Hi

I wanted to make some critter cookies that would be safe for the small animals, I have chins, bunnies, and hamsters. So it of course has to be low sugar. I am sure there are recipes on here somewhere but if someone has recipes or links to recipes. I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Shannon

Those would be ok for bunnies (or some hamsters, if made with hamster food) in *very* limited quantities - fruit should be limited to no more than 1 tsp per 2 lbs body weight daily and non-leafy-green veggies like carrots should be limited to 1 tbsp per 2 lbs body weight per day. Because carrots are so high in sugar, they shouldn't have the maximum amount allowed of both carrots and fruit in a day - you'd need to do half and half or something... and any pellets used should be subtracted from their daily portion. Because bunnies should have very little starch/carbs in their diet, powdered pellets should be used instead of flour or something in any sort of bunny cookie.

Most dwarf hamsters can't have ANY fruit and can't have certain veggies (carrots being one of them) because they're so prone to diabetes - robos are the only dwarves that fruit and carrots are safe for (Syrians can also have that stuff).

This site looks like it has some great hamster recipes, though I haven't looked through them all - you'd want to refer to this list of safe/unsafe foods to make sure the recipe you want to use doesn't contain anything that's unhealthy for your species of hamster. Here's a thread of recipe ideas, but some are pretty iffy. Make sure if you use peanut butter, you feed a very tiny amount so they won't pouch it, as it can get stuck in their pouches. If you use egg, it should be scrambled (or poached with a little egg-poaching dish) in the microwave or hard boiled so that no oil or cooking spray is used. Grains (bread, pasta, flour, etc.) should always be *whole grain* - never white.

Be careful with what you give chins, rabbits are able to have fruits and veggies but with chins they can get gas that kills them. (haha I'm going to be getting a bonded pair of chins soon so I've been doing lots of research lately XD)

Back