Bad Start... can I fix it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konotashi

Reaction score
I've been putting Schnitzel and Salem in the bathtub together to see how they would act around one another, worried that Salem would attack Schnitzel. All went well - they ignored each other the first few times, and after a while, they'd lay by one another.
Today I decided to let them run around in the computer room together. After watching them like a hawk for about half an hour, they were getting along fine. Just sort of minding their own business.

I was doing some homework on the computer, and I hear Salem grunting/whining and thumping, tearing around the room with Schnitzel right behind him! I tried stopping Schnitzel, but he got away from me easily every chance I got. He latched onto Salem's back, then was being dragged around until I finally caught up with him.

Needless to say, Salem doesn't want anything to do with Schnitzel, and now it makes me nervous when Salem moves with Schnitzel less than four feet away. I didn't want that to happen again. Salem's in my lap now getting extra love while Schnitzel is laying down in the corner.

Is there any way to help them get along? I have no idea what triggered the attack, but now I have a seemingly traumatized bunny!

Salem is a 1 year old neutered male Holland lop, and Schnitzel is a 9 week old intact Holland lop.

I don't have much experience with this sort of thing, but if you wait a couple days and then try again, but put them together only maybe 10 minutes at a time to start. The longer they're together the more tension can build.

Chasing, humping and pulling hair is pretty normal. Sometimes you have to steel yourself for bonding and just keep a bottle of Betadine handy in case of bites.

Schnitzel is a little young for any bonding to 'take', anyway. He's going to have hormonal bouts as he gets older.

If you can get them to actually cuddle, it would be better. Can you take them for a car ride?

sas :clover:

I checked Salem and he wasn't bleeding. Maybe Schnitzel just got a hold of the fur? So it's okay that he chases him, or no?

I know - that's why I won't put them together until he's neutered.

I could probably take them for a ride. :p

Honestly...I would not put them together at all. The baby needs to be neutered when he is old enough, then you can try for bonding in neutral territory. Remember you are bonding 2 males, as well - which can be harder then male/female bonding.

I agree... don't waste your time. It only works for sure after the neutering and subsequent hormone drop period. Males are especially hard to bond...

Just a note: I tried to bond intact young male with neutered old male. Tried their patience far too much, and they no longer tolerate either's presence at all. In retrospect, I would not have attempted anything until post-surgery.

Latest posts

Back