Bad News for Fudge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharon wrote:
Ijust don't know what to do. About a week ago, Fudge had somedental work done, and she seemed to OK, although she wasn't eating asmuch as I'd like. Anyway, a week later and there appears tobe something wrong with her eye - it's very swollen. The vethas told me that she may have an abscess behind the eye, which mayconnected to the sneezing ( no discharge).

Fudge was on Baytril following the dental work and that didn't seem tohelp. I now have a weeks supply of Septrin. The vetadvised me that if the antibiotics do not work, "it may be a quality oflife issue" because "it is difficult to remove abscesses of the eye andthey sometime come back". Once again, I am very worried.

I bought 3 rabbits about 2 years ago and so far one died followingdental work, and now another one is ill. I feelterrible. I love all animals, but I can't bear the ending.

Fudge is bouncing around my living room as I write. What is the right thing to do?:(

Please can you advice me again.
THe problem with it being behind the eye is, if meds do not help, theeye may have to be removed. If however the infection does not clear up,it can eat through the bone and go into the brain, this is wherequality of life comes into play.

Rabbits as well as many other animals can live quite happy normal livewith 1 eye or even no eyes. you are the only onewhocan make the best decision about what you should do for your bun. Wewill keep you both in ou thoughts and prayers, and please keep usupdated

Gabby wrote:
If however the infection does not clear up, it caneat through the bone and go into the brain, this is where quality oflife comes into play.
Thanks for clearing that up Gabby. I just thought that the vet meant ifthe rabbit was to lose the eye, it would be a quality of life issue.That is awful though that the infection could be so vicious. I willdefinatley be saying a prayer for Fudge for you Sharon.

Vickie

Sharron I hope all goes well. I thinkyour bun will know his surroundings enough to have a happy life even ifone eye is blind. I sure that bun is a close friend so youwhat whats best. Even though you think it would be to much onyour bun, see how things go:D. I know this is toughon you. It is on anyone, you well be in my prayers.

Peter

i need to ask asilly question ? by chance isthe eye absessed on thesame side as the tooth thatwas fixed , if so could there possablybe infection in the tooth causeing aproblem with the eye ? i knowsometimes with humans if thereis infection in a tooth it cancause severe infectionelsewhere either the eyes orthe sinus andsometimes with ears ? just athought , i wouldhave the bunnierevetted to make sure the infectionis actually where they seem to think it is

I think tooth problems often cause eye problems,so yes, gypsy, you're right! I read that somewhere, but I'm suresomeone can confirm or disprove that.

Rose

dr_peter_kraz wrote:
Sharron I hope all goes well. I think your bunwill know his surroundings enough to have a happy life even if one eyeis blind.

At least two of my buns have moderate to severe vision loss. They do just fine and are happy and healthy.

I sure hope things work out!

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
dr_peter_kraz wrote:
SharronI hope all goes well. I think your bun will know hissurroundings enough to have a happy life even if one eye isblind.

At least two of my buns have moderate to severe vision loss. They do just fine and are happy and healthy.

I sure hope things work out!

Rose

Good thats nice to hear Rose:D

it's amazing how well they do without good vision!

Rose

P.S. I wrote that they were both healthy and happy. What was Ithinking? Let meedit that! :pPandemonium ishealthy and happy. Smokey is angry, arthritic and old as the hills.Nothing to do with the blindness though!! ;)

gypsy wrote:
i need to ask asilly question ? by chance isthe eye absessed on thesame side as the tooth thatwas fixed , if so could there possablybe infection in the tooth causeing aproblem with the eye ? i knowsometimes with humans if thereis infection in a tooth it cancause severe infectionelsewhere either the eyes orthe sinus andsometimes with ears ? just athought , i wouldhave the bunnierevetted to make sure the infectionis actually where they seem to think itis
reading her posts, it souns to me like the eye isn'tabcessed, but behind the eye is. And i would assume that if that is thecase, that yes it is/was caused by tooth problems. If it were insidethe eye there would be no question it ws there, you can actually seethe puss in the eye, it makes it look like little clouds of a puffysubstance are inside the eye..Very visable to the naked eye.

All,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice - it really means a lot to me and Fudge.

I am just focusingon giving Fudge as much love and care as Icanover the next week. Fudge and I are due a follow-up visitwith the vet next Thursday. I am very anxious, but it's beenreassuring to know that losing the eye could be a workableoption. Fingers crossed the infection hasn't gone further,but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your support and I wish I'd found this forum earlier.

Sharon

In some cases, a tumor behind the eye can causeinfection, not only in the surrounding area, but may also infect theroots of the teeth.

We'll be pulling for your little Fudge, Sharon.

Please keep us updated.

Pam

Prayers and visions of good health go out to Fudge from this end, Sharon.

She couldn't have a more loving mother watching over her.

Keep us posted,
-Carolyn

I didn't realize that the abscess was behind theeye. I stand by thatFudge could do fine even if heneeded the eye removed, but what a nasty infection if it effects thebrain...that is really scary.

Hope the new med is helping. Best of luck! Thoughts, prayers and hugs to you and Fudge.

Jen

Bumper -- RELAX I don't think you offended anyone, it's justthat a lot of us have good vets who are very rabbitknowledgeable. I have also seen the consequences ofpracticing veterinary medicine without a license. I knewsomeone who did, and he had his store closed and had to pay hugefines. Giving advice is one thing, but the only way to getmedicine is to take the animal to a vet and sometimes that is necessary

Just ashort update on Fudge....

She had her right eye removed on Wednesday, and according to the vetshe seems quite bright - cleaning herself and bouncing around hercage. Unfortunately, she refuses to eat and so is currentlybeing syringe fed - she can be very fussy about her diet.

The vet has warned me that if she refuses to eat the consequences areserious, but I am trying to remain positive. Hopefully, she will starteating and then I can bring her home. I have bought her favouritebroccoli, carrots and cabbage so I can't wait to bring herhome. I need to get her back tohealth before I goon vacation as she and Smudge will be holidaying with a local vet nurse.

I'll keep you updated.

Bless your Heart, Sharon. Praying hardfor Fudge. I admire you so much for all you're going throughfor her. As unlucky as she is, she couldn't be in better,more loving, or capable hands than yours.

If you have some NutriCal, I'd give her an inch aday. It's usually advised for when a rabbit goes off its feedand is good for providing them the nutrients they need, as well asstimulating their appetite, and boosting their immune system.

Praying very hard for the two of you to come out of this with flying colors.

-Carolyn

Glad to hear that the surgery wentwell. Push the Nutri Cal -- really helpful at times likethese. Also: Sometimes finely grated carrots have been theonly thing I could get a bunny to touch.

Pam

All,

Thanks for all your prayers and support.

Fudge is pretty much back to her old self. She is coping wellwith oneeye although I haven't put herin her dayhutch just yet- it's still quite cold. The vetremoved a solid mass from behind her righteye, which may havebeen a solidified abscess or something worse (hopefully,not). He has told me that it'll be a couple of months untilwe know if the operation was successful.However, I am quitehopeful, especially since shehas just wrestled a carrot offof Smudge!

Thanks again

Back