Bad hare day in more ways than one.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv4lionheads

Reaction score
So I walk into the laundry room where I have my Lionhead Charlotte running around, and there is fur all over the place! Like clumps of it. it is getting warmer out here, is she just shedding? I'm not sure what to do. :rabbithop

If its coming off in tufts and there's short hair underneath, she's probably molting.

How old is she? Is she spayed?

sas :bunnydance:

It sounds just like shedding to me, if it's getting warmer where you live, and changing to a hot season.

When you stroke her, do you get loads of fur in your hand and flying all in the air and up your nose and stuff lol? That's what mine do when they are moulting. I'm having to put up with fur in my eyes and my nose and all over me right now lol!!

There are no bald patches or anything are there? That can sometimes happen with moulting, if they moult very badly, but sometimes that can indicative of an illness or another cause.

Jen

It was in clumps,and there wasn't much short hair in it because it came from her mane (she's a lionhead). As far as I know, she is not spayed. She's a little over a year old. I was wondering if it was hormones. since female rabbits use their own fur to make nests. I do planned to get her spayed once I get the money for it.

I checked her over after the whole hairy mess. she had a bunch of it in her mouth. I pulled out a good handful she was keeping in her mouth. But there are no bald spots. I'm hoping maybe she was uncomfortable and was just getting all the loose wool out of her mane.

Is it possible that she has been pulling this out herself? If it was in her mouth etc?

Unspayed rabbits can go through 'false' pregnancies- they aren't pregnant, but go through the motions of nesting (pulling out their fur- usually from the belly- to make a nest), but should 'get over it' in a few days.

Jen

that very well could be it. She attacked the broom when I tried to clean it up and there was a fair bit of grunting as I took all the fur from her mouth. She's also been a bit food aggressive lately.

It sounds like she may be going through a false pregnancy and pulling out her fur to make a nest. The increased aggressiveness would also point to that. Not much to do but put up with is and wait for it to pass.

With a false pregnancy, you need to just watch for mastitis. In my experience, it's not very common, but does can sometimes develop infections in the mammary glands following a pregnancy and even sometimes a false one.

Jen

P.S. I've actually seen a spayed doe go through a false pregnancy. She pulled fur and was just insane until she decided it was over. LOL

cirrustwi wrote:
With a false pregnancy, you need to just watch for mastitis. In my experience, it's not very common, but does can sometimes develop infections in the mammary glands following a pregnancy and even sometimes a false one.

Jen

P.S. I've actually seen a spayed doe go through a false pregnancy. She pulled fur and was just insane until she decided it was over. LOL

Darry is spayed and she's constantly building nests. (She's always a little wild-eyed, hard to tell how hormonal she is). ;)

And mastitis isn't the only rare thing to worry about when they're pulling hair... Check out my old 'Weirdest Bunny Problem Ever' thread. ;)

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=21129&forum_id=16&jump_to=298990#p298990

sas :biggrin2:

Thanks, everyone! She was much more calm yesterday, and I can feed her without her throwing a fit. But I will definitely have to get her spayed this summer. I mean, in the middle of this whole episode, she bit a 7 year-old girl whom she usually is very patient with, though it was about as deep as a paper-cut, I'd rather not take the chance of this happening again. I hear rabbits can take off fingers if they please to.

Our lionhead boy gave me quite the bite!:D
He darned near took off the pad of my baby finger...he's much better now!lol;)

Danielle:)

Lionheads have huge attitude issues! Mine grunts and stomps if I get distracted by the TV while petting her. It's pretty funny!

I always thought they were called lionheads for their furry mane...then we brought three home...now I know better! LOL:rofl:

Its all about the attitude! A lion in rabbits clothing!;)

Totally! :D Charlotte, if I'm walking her in the yard and someone walks by with a small dog, she'll go for it. I hear she used to chase cats in her old home when she was a baby. Silly bun!

Yup!:biggrin2:
We heard our one cat yowling and all of a sudden she came tearing around the corner into the livingroom from the kitchen...with our little Peppers hanging off the cats haunch by her teeth...she had her wee feet tucked up and was just hanging on with her teeth!

I was so shocked...I'm standing there wondering A) How to catch the cat and B) How to detach the bunn when I do finally catch her! LOL:biggrin2:

Runestonez wrote:
Yup!:biggrin2:
We heard our one cat yowling and all of a sudden she came tearing around the corner into the livingroom from the kitchen...with our little Peppers hanging off the cats haunch by her teeth...she had her wee feet tucked up and was just hanging on with her teeth!

I was so shocked...I'm standing there wondering A) How to catch the cat and B) How to detach the bunn when I do finally catch her! LOL:biggrin2:

Danielle, I just about died laughing reading your story! I have tears running down my face! Thanks for the LOL!!

Yes yes...its all fun and games until your cat develops a rabbit growth on its arse end! :biggrin:
Chelsea (our cat) still flinches and heads for higher ground when ever she sees a flash of black! lol

Latest posts

Back