bad bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katt

Reaction score
i placed my rabbits winnie and herman in a newhome a while back(thread in the rescue me section). i just got incontact with the new owner as i saw on petfinder that they were up foradoption.and was completely shocked at what i found out:

she says that not only can she not keep them, but another home triedthem and cannot keep them either. she says that herman within 2 weeksof being there turned aggressive with winnie (they are bondedtogether), mounting her and chasing her around the cage and then beganto spray EVERYWERE, in the cage, while running around, on winnie, thenew owner's family and all over the house. this has happened in bothhomes that they were placed in. i just don't understand. herman sprayed1 time while at my house right before he was fixed. he is angry andupset at being moved around? or is he simply not ment to be aroundother rabbits (here it was just the 2 of them, but both other houseshave many other rabbits). this is not my sweet mannered herman that iknew!

i have been told that within the week they are being moved to theshelter, but if i want them back, then all i have to do is get them. ithink they are comming back home, because i haven't moved out yet andmy mom is deciding tonight if she will allow them back. i am justworried that when they get back here, herman will be a completelydifferent rabbit! what is going on? anyone have any idea?

Oh no! I'm not really sure what totell you. I am surprised that she did not contact you in thefirst place to see if you had any suggestions for her. Goodluck though.

yes, i was upset with not being contacted too, ihad told her that to let me know of ANY problems with them. she saysthat she lost my contact information (whether that is true or not, ihave no way of knowing, i am assuming it is true as she doesn't seemlike the kind of person to lie), but either way this is were we arenow. . . i guess i am greatful that the weather is holding up inmichigan as it looks like i have a nice little road trip planned.

Im so sorry to hear this!

I think Herman may just be acting out since he's been put in a newplace? Did she have him around other rabbits? That may have had aneffect on his behavior.

I would offer to foster for a while except now I have 4 bunnies (Irecently took in a little girl as a rescue foster, but she is stayingnow).

How are things in the new apartment? Any chance you could talk yourroomate into bringing them up there (assuming he's well behaved onceyou had him back at your parents?

I know pets arent allowed, but do you have a walk in closet or something you could put a little nic setup in for them?

I hope this all works out. Im so sorry things didnt work out with the new home.

I'd guess it's a combination -- most rabbitsHATE change -- but moreso, it's the other rabbits. There havebeen many cases here of two bonded rabbits suddenly fighting when athird arrived on the scene, even when the other one wasn't even closeby the other two. Some bunnies are just veryterritorial. That combined with the stress of the moves andthe sudden lack of being the center of the human's universe wasprobably too much.

I would guess if they're back home and back to being the only bunnies,theirordeal -- and yours -- will be over within a few weeks.

I really hope it works out for them, and you.

sas :hug2:

i am still at home. theappartment wewere going to move into (application in, just waiting back from theowner) went to the last renters that decided last minute they wanted tostay instead of move out. so this will give me time to try again tofind a place that will allow them, i can also leave them at my parentshouse and make the daily trip to tend their needs and spend an hour or2 out with them if i cannot find a place(or maybe, i hope, iwill convince my roommate to sneak them in, it might work now becauseshe will feel bad that they have been through this mess). or it willgive me time to find a new home for them (but i honestly cannot seeplacing them again as i worry it would only cause more trauma to bothof them).

if they come back and herman is still agressive and having manyproblems, i am going to have to split them up, right? i am so worriedthat herman will come back and not be the herman i love. they have beengone for over a month, will they still remember me? what kind of memorydoes a rabbit have? i hope that they will remember me and this houseand herman will feel better.

you never really hear about the bad placements(the ones that don't workout for whatever reason), only the good, i wasn't expecting anyproblems with this, and if i would have known this was going to happen,i would have kept them close. the lady that took them feels terrible,as do i. we both just want herman to be happy again.

My bunnies seem to have pretty goodmemories! They may be pretty mad at you for a few weeks, butI really think that once they're settled in again, all will bewell. You may need a bit bigger cage and a divider forawhile, but I really think Herman will get over it.

:goodluck

sas

Im sorry too hear that didnt work, but when youmove animals too another location you dont know what will happen.everyanimal reacts differently too change.bluebird

well, herman and winnie are comming home! afterall the moving around they have done i just want them home and happy. iam praying that it all works out in the end and i can find a place thatwill either let me bring them, or turn a head to my sneaking a 10 poundrabbit in under my jacket. i only wish i could have talked my roommateinto sneaking rabbits in BEFORE i placed them, as then none of thiswould have been a problem. . .

so now we are waiting, as they are currently in toledo, OH in a fosterhome and midwest is currently working on a transport team to get themback to the lady i had given them to so she can meet me in muskgon, oraround that area. . .

katie

Latest posts

Back