Bad Bunnies :-(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayme

Reaction score
So I have my nearly 8 month old female lionhead/mini rex mix, Clover, and my 6 month old holland lop, Oscar, and the two of them have been a bit awful lately. Both of them hate me touching them, and picking them up is nearly impossible. I've had them since they were about 8 weeks old, and they both act almost like they were abused, even though I've been handling them correctly and constantly since I got them. Clover growls, thumps and will even attack my hand if I go in her cage to get her out, clean her cage, or feed her. It was really quick how she went from well behaved good personality baby to aggressive adult. I hoped this was puberty, and it'll go away when she gets fixed, but since she's female, I was told it wouldn't affect her behavior much. Oscar thumps, hates being touched or even approached, and it always terrified. He's been this way since I got him, and I hope fixing him will mellow him out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (And they'll be getting fixed soon)

I am curious who told you that spaying your female would not change her behavior? I have not had any experience with a female bunny as old has yours (mine is 12 weeks old), however my male stopped all his bad behaviors once neutered. I would think it would help your female as well. I have heard that females can be more territorial about their cages but I think its mostly puberty related and she will calm down in about a month or so once she is spayed. Nuetering your male rabbit might improve his behavior but if he has always acted like he has since you got him it may not help. The older my male gets the more calm he has become though. he is 9 months now and mostly lays around and eats hay. he doesn't play as much as he did before. Before he was neutered he was chewing up my baseboards,peeing and pooping next to his cage. He didn't seem as friendly as he had before. Now that he has been neutered he loves to sit and be petted and he seems really sweet and happy now. Both my bunnies hate being picked up btw. Rabbits usually don't care for that being they are prey animals by nature. I guess just get them spayed and neutered and wait a month and see if their behavior improves.
Best of Luck!
Sindri

They are both acting like typical hormonal rabbits. Spaying and neutering should make all the difference. Spaying absolutely helps females with their behavior.
Just bear in mind that it can take several weeks for hormones to dissipate after surgery.
It's not unusual for babies to be sweet and docile and then for hormones to cause a Dr Jekyll turn around.

I think the spaying/neutering will help. I have two male rabbits that are about 5 months old and were just spayed a week ago. I had read that it takes about a month for their hormones to die down, but I already see some positive changes in their behavior.

Latest posts

Back