Bactine and bunnies-is it safe to swallow?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabaylon

Reaction score
So I posted a pic of my bunny's cut lip the other day, and was informed that peroxide was bad for rabbits and instead to use bactine to rinse out his wound. I got some bactine the other day, along with a little medicine syringe-thingy. I squirted what amounted to about 2 peas worth of bactine and it went straight into his mouth. Obviously he didn't like that very much and I was not sure if bactine was safe to swallow. Anyway I have resorted to using a qtip soaked in bactine to clean his wound, but it just doesn't seem to be saturating it enough. The wound itself seems to be healing ok. It's still a little puffy on one side, and his nose has been permanently wet since the injury. Also, there is what appears to be cheese up in his lip near the gumline, but I think this is just some of the leftover neosporin that i have been using.

Thoughts? Should I be rinsing more/better?:?

u need to get cotton balls and get up in their and clean it good cuz i think the cheese might be infection..does it look like pus?..1 of my buns had a really bad wound from another rabbit ..the other rabbit bit a chunk of his cheek right off ..like the size of a quarter gone...as much as others say dont use peroxide ..thats exactly what i used once when it first happened...then i just kept dabbing on neosporin..i had to really keep up with the neosporin..i know that u dont want him ingesting too much ..but the vet will be flushing it and getting it in his mouth too.....my /Doodle bug had a cut lip from another bun not as bad as ur cut is..but i used peroxide once then neosporin....both the buns healed up just fine,...im worried that u didnt clean it good right when it happened...
i talked to my vet about betadine and peroxide and he said betadine is used before they do surgery...well thats on undisturbed skin...when its already damaged skin he said peroxide is the way to go..i know its not good to use frequently..but peroxide has been around for a long long time....just use ur best judgement on this..im just tellin ya ive used it with no probs..but others obviously had some issues with it...

i just checked out ur pics with his injury..that looks like a pretty deep cut to me...u can tell by how its puffy on both sides of it...nix the peroxide idea thats gonna be really hard to use right there...water down betadine on cottonballs.....u gotta do it frequently...or else ur gonna end up having to go to the vet after alll and its not gonna be just for a cut lip....so itll be even more money..keep me posted..poor little guy..thats gotta hurt.

so why did ya get bactine instead of Betadine?..bactine has a numbing agent in it..prob not a good thing for a bun to digest.....
looked up toxicity for Betadine and 220mg/kg was toxic to a mouse..i doubt u got that much in him...i hope he heals up quick ..:)

I was told to use bactine, instead of peroxide, in another thread here. Nibbler seems to be healing along well though. The actual wound is clean and pus free. What I thought was pus I think was actually just old neosporin that accumulated.

Betadine, not bactine, is what we prefer that you use. I also would use a different kind of neosporin. Are you using the cream one? A white, lotion-like substance? The ointment is better because it is more water resistant and will stay on the wound longer.

SILLY ME!!! Well, I imagine bactine is still a good germ killer but for future incidents I shall buy betadine. And I have been using the ointment, not the cream...

whoops i meant in my last post that was BACTINE toxicity to a mouse..not BETADINE,,,geez here i was trying to basically tell u that u got the wrong stuff then u shuda and I ENDED UP WRITING THE WRONG ONE FOR TOXICITY LEVELS...sorry

Latest posts

Back