Backyard Breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
Our rescue group got a call yesterday from a young couple that wanted to surrender a pair of rabbits. It turns out that they had been breeding them and selling the babies to a small, local pet shop. The pet shop closed down and now they have no where to sell the babies. So now they don't want the rabbits anymore. Solution - give them to an already over-crowded rescue group!

The rabbits are going in today for a spay/neuter.

Grrrrrrrrr.......

That makes me so mad :grumpy: Do you ever have a hard time being polite and friendly to people like that on the phone?

SnowyShiloh wrote:
That makes me so mad :grumpy: Do you ever have a hard time being polite and friendly to people like that on the phone?
Yeah, sometimes you really have to bite your tongue. You can't say what you really want too because we don't want to discourage them from turning the rabbits over to us. It would only serve to be detrimental for the bunnies.

Now I'm really furious! :tantrum:I haven't seen the rabbits yet, but we got a call from the vet's office that they couldn't spay the female because she was too thin from overbreeding and neglect. The male is thin also, but not as bad as the female. He was neutered today.

I can't believe these people. I am beyond angry that someone would do this to these poor bunnies. I'd like to:boxingthem.

Would the couple not at least have to pay for the spay or neuter? That would only be fair and reasonable to ask.

I belong to HRS and the local chapter although we have our own private rescue with excellent care for rabbits we can get adopted/or transition to foster homes and sanctuary.
The December WHRS newsletter included an article about a drug raid confiscation and Iowa rabbits that were ... well, here's the quote: "They came from a former breeder who told the investigating officers that she no longer cared about the rabbits 'and wanted them to die.' Dead rabbits were found in cages next to the the trophies and ribbons they had won in breeder shows. The surviving bunnies were emaciated and lacked food and water."

slavetoabunny, this breeder reminds me of a backyard breeder place in Milwaukee-area where the sheds look decripid, and she posts a sign saying to stay off premises. We get this awful feeling everytime we drive by the place. They are sold for snake food from what I've heard. Just seems to be a horrible place to live your short or extended life, in breeding mills in hutches with little human regard or concern.

personal experience: A young gal in agriculture program got tired of the 2 buns she had (actually they were the wrong sex, she wanted 2 females and was told wrong by the breeder), and the ribbons don't mean a darn thing anymore. The other rex bun she got and showed *won* a fair ribbon, but it too was surrendered to the humane society a short time later. Very sad for sentient beings, rabbits who are capable of feeling pain and have emotions. The project bunnies from the breeder that got sick were placed on dry ice in a back shed to die. ugh.

Slightly OT : the rehabbed cottontail we continue to monitor in our yard knows her name, and responds to our human voice. Yah, even the cottontails -- wild rabbits who get killed and eaten -- have emotions!!! Like the eastern cottontail who chased after its baby being carried away by a crow, momma e/c running after her youngster ... now, is that mom lagomorph completely ignorant of feelings for its little one??
Why do people perceive Rabbits as *not having feelings or emotions*? Which the agriculture leader told me one day at the fairgrounds. "We don't believe they have emotions or feelings." Ugh.
My apologies on hijacking the thread yet this seems relevant WRT the emaciated comment - and selling, or dumping your actions on others. Here, you take care it!! Overbreeding and neglect...

Where's the humane and responsible brain cells in humans ????

Thank heavens for your care and actions, :hug:Gainesville Rabbit Rescue and Volunteers. Please keep us posted if you can. Thankfully there's a brighter future ahead through Rescue Groups.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Nope - they claim to not have the money to do it. We are fortunate to have a wonderful vet who gives us steep discounts on spay and neuter. Neuters are $35 and spays are $50. We are just glad to get these poor bunnies away from those people.
If they overbred and neglected their rabbits like that they must have made quite some money in selling babies. But I guess you are right about putting the rabbits first and getting them out of there

It just keeps getting worse. Bunnylady2 (Liz) went to pick up the bunnies at the vet and says they were horribly filthy. The guy that surrendered them generously (yeah) donated the carrier. It was a soft carrier and was so filthy that she threw it out. Thank goodness these rabbits found their way to us. Now they will have good care and a clean place to live until we find them a forever home.

That is horrible! Thank goodness you took them in.
They are going to be living the good life now! :)

Reading about the disregard those former breeders showed for their rabbits made me want to cry even though I'm not a very "teary" person. Poor sweet rabbits, may all the living ones be in good homes or at a caring shelter.

Those of you that run or help out shelters/rescues: Never underestimate the value of what you do.

Jo xx

Sabine wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:
Nope - they claim to not have the money to do it. We are fortunate to have a wonderful vet who gives us steep discounts on spay and neuter. Neuters are $35 and spays are $50. We are just glad to get these poor bunnies away from those people.
If they overbred and neglected their rabbits like that they must have made quite some money in selling babies. But I guess you are right about putting the rabbits first and getting them out of there

I don't know how many litters this poor doe has had, but from what I understand she is less than a year old. These bunnies are definately going to have a hoppy new year in our care.

We have taken in a lot worse cases than this, but it saddens me all the same.

Do you think that rabbits get treated worse than other pet animals because people do eat them? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be Animal Cruelty to kill a dog or cat yourself if they were sick, no? I only wish that people who couldn't take care of an animal would surrender them so that they can get the care they need. Taking an animal that loves you and trusts you and doing such horrible things to it is inexcusable.

Edit: My Muffin was from a backyard breeding situation, and had at least one litter in the first year of her life. I got her in Feb when she was approx 1-1.5 years old and she had only been in the shelter since Jan, when she came in nursing a baby herself. There are happy endings for these bunnies, no matter how little human contact they've had in their time in the backyard.

I hate that so many people think animals are emotionless and expendable. I heard on the news the other day that they discovered that "dogs have feelings like envy." My response was - DUH. Did they seriously need a bunch of tests and research to realize that dogs and many other animals have emotions? I mean, come on, you don't even need to have owned a dog to know that.

When I was in college one of my lit professors was discussing a Sylvia Plath poem which involves a cat analogy. He made a comment about how "a cat is just an animal that feels dependent on people for food and nothing else." A couple people spoke up in disagreement, but the majority of the class seemed to agree. It really suprised me. I guess I had thought that most people thought animals feel a whole range of emotions.

tonyshuman wrote:
Do you think that rabbits get treated worse than other pet animals because people do eat them? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be Animal Cruelty to kill a dog or cat yourself if they were sick, no?

These things happen to dogs and cats too, unfortunatly. The difference is that as rabbits tend to be kept in cages, they can't move away from their feces, go looking for food, etc., which makes it so that their condition gets bad faster. Plus more people are ignorant of rabbit care than dogs and cats. I have seen many cases of cruelty through sheer ignorance.

As far as putting your pet down yourself, what was mentioned above is most definatly cruel. But there are ways to do it so that they don't feel any pain or discomfort at all. And some people feel that the animal would prefer to pass at home than in the stressful environment of the vet's office.

I just want to say something... though I do know there are LOADS of cases where the animals are truely being abused there are cases where it's not so.

I worked for a shelter who had a "seize" on a rabbitry. The animals, when they came in, were generally in lovely condition. Some of the does were a bit thin from coming off a litter, some of the whites had a small amount of stain (cleaned right off) and some of the babies I thought should be weaned from their momma but other than that I found nothing wrong with them. I think they took 89 rabbits all together. Within the first week they reduced this number to 50 because of the babies being "sick". I told them what had happened was that they had disturbed them at a young age and were way too stressed out so they were lethargic and it was hard for me to get them eatting. Anyhow, before this was over all but about 20 rabbits were put down and they kept the rest to adopt but were giving them too many shots for things they didn't have! So many of them died.

This article was published and stretched to the point that it sounded horrible in local papers when there was nothing wrong with the animals but the public was in an outrage. I was so angry that the staff would not listen to me on how to care for the rabbits that I couldn't go back to see them anymore. This breeder was deemed a "backyard breeder" though she was respected in the breeds she had. Oh yeah, for being in such horrible condition they confiscated her equipment too!

Latest posts

Back