back yard breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not too sure, around here (NZ) it meanssomeone who isn't affiliated with a council or group for that animal,who doesn't get well-bred and health tested animals in forbreeding...who may cross breed to make money, who generaly don't havegood facilities or enough money to take care of the breeding animals inthe way they deserve.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

I believe "backyard breeders" are "breeders" whobreed just to breed. They have no goals in mind, do not breed toimprove a certain breed or line of rabbits, and sell to make money.They are not a reputable breeder, but more or less supply thetown/county of poor little bunnies who sit in backyard hutches to livetheir lives in heartache or end up in shelters.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

I googled the term "backyard breeder" and came up with some good links - although they're about dogs.

I'm going to go ahead and share them here.

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/reputablebreeder.html

(this is a chartshowing what a backyard breeder will do vs. a reputable breeder)

http://www.adoptarescuepet.org/byb.htm - from a rescue site

From answers.com - http://www.answers.com/topic/backyard-breeder

I've quoted part of it here below.

The term backyard breeder refers to people whobreed dogs, but are ignorant ofselectivebreeding goals and techniques, and are not familiar with thebreed standardof their chosen breed of dog.

I also liked this site:
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_breedersandpetshops.php
Peg

I'm sure that not all backyard breeders are"awful" they may just be people who don't think about the consequencesof their actions! Maybe they get a couple of bunnies and those bunnieshave a litter, so they decide to sell the babies.

We had some people in our area recently who had a "puppy farm" wherethe dogs were just neglected, basically...The RSPCA had to close itdown. Definitely a backyard breeder, breeding to make money...notcaring enough for the animals.

Some people are just thoughtless about the consequence of their actions!!

When we bought bunnies from a pet shop, the guy who sold them to usjust said, "If they have babies, bring them here and we'll sell them!"I guess there are a few people who do that!!

Well, I'm a backyard breeder, I breed rabbits inmy backyard. But I am happy to say I am not one of "them". I take verygood care of my rabbits. They are well loved and get lots of attentioneven if they are house outside. We are building them a custom shed. Ionly sell the babies as petsto people who are well screened,with info sheets and a promise to return them if for any reason theyare no longer wanted. I haven't had any returned as of yet. I make surethat the buyers have really thought about having a pet rabbit and knowwhat they are getting into.

I've just come from a board where they backstabbreeders, what is it with you people? Oh well i'll keep searching,there is bound to be a nice forum somewhere around.

Oh and before i get accused of being abackstreet or any other type of breeder, i don't breed anything but myhubby breeds budgies, is that allowed?

jil101ca, backyardbreeder hasnothing to do with the location of the buns. It has to dowith treatment, goals, reasons to breed ect. You sound like agood breeder to me:bunnydance:

~Tracey~, nobody is "back stabbingbreeders". People are informing others how irresponsible, andpossibly life threatning for bunnies it is to breed without tons ofresearch, goals, breederr quality rabbits, money, time, ect.

Hi Tracey.

This forum isn't against responsible breeding atall.Literally it may seem like someone who does thebreeding in the back yard, but generally a 'backyardbreeder'is a term for someone who isn't committed to breedingor maybe just doing it as something fun.

Sorry if you misunderstood. I hope you don't decide to leave the board.

We definatly don't hate breeders on this forum.Some of our beloved mods are breeders. We just wish that some people,not EVERYONE, would realize what goes into being a breeder. There isalot that can go wrong when a doe gives birth, and they usually aren'tprepared for it. They can end up losing both the mother and the kits.We all are here because we love rabbits, anything we say is only tobenifit them.

The thing about having a forum this big, and diverse, is that noteveryone agrees on everything. But we all have a rabbit's best interestat heart, even the unprepared "backyard" breeders on here. No onethinks that they are out to hurt their rabbits, we just want them torealize what having kits means for them and their doe. It is better toknow ahead of time, rather than in an emergency, at 2AM with no firstaid supplies.

I love this forum, because even though we all don't agree all of the time, we all want to help. Period.

~Star~

I started this thread to confirm what I thoughta "backyard breeder" was. When I got my first rabbit last summer, Istopped at a rabbitry here in North Bay. The man sold meat rabbits, I'mcertainly not against that but this person was a "backyard" breeder".His rabbits were not care for at all. The conditions were appalling, nofeed, no water and feces piled up inside the wire bottomcages.I reported him to the SPCA and they shut him down forthe second time. I drive by there every once in awhile and still norabbits.

Tracey, this is an awsome site, some are very opinonated but it is onlybecause they care so very much. There is no backstabbing here. onlypeople who want to educate and help the bunny population.

Tracey,

Hi! Welcome to the board - I noticed that you just joined us back in March.

I've got to say that I think we're one of the most breeder-friendlyboards I've seen. I just love it here...and I am a lionhead breeder(and one of the moderators).

Let me explain..
  • We have a rabbitry section where we not only help identifywhat breed of rabbits folks have - but we ask genetics questions andtalk about how to handle a problem if a doe isn't feeding her kits orsomething. We encourage lots of questions. We also share our litterswith everyone (it is so exciting that we love to encourage eachother).
  • While we try to discourage irresponsible breeding orbreeding if you don't have the resources to take the rabbits to a vetif issues arise...we still encourage responsible breeders by sharingwebsites about various breeds and we try to help folks who want tobreed for show rabbits.
We do have folks on this board whodon't care for breeders .... but we have folks here who love breederstoo.

The thread you read was started by someone who wanted to know what abackyard breeder was...that's all! I almost moved it to the rabbitrywhen I first saw it but thought that it would be good for the generalpopulation to feel like they could chime in with their input.

Anyway, I think this is an awesome forum. We have rabbit owners, rabbitbreeders, rabbit rescuers and even an ARBA rabbit judge on here. Wediscuss not only what our rabbits are doing in their daily lives in theblog section...but we have an infirmary section for discussingillnesses, a section for cute pictures (photo philes), and even anoff-topic area for non-rabbit stuff like who's reading what books orwho is watching what tv show!

I encourage you to give us another look. I think we've got a really unique space here on the net.

But as far as breeding goes - we don't encourage irresponsible breeding - but we aren't against breeders as a whole!

Peg

Yes, I agree...'backyard breeder' is simply aterminology to describe someone who breeds rabbits indescriminantly,most of the time in appalling conditions, with no concern about theanimals' welfare - both while in their 'care' and to whoever buys them.It has nothing to do with those who raise rabbits - either on a smallscale or large one - responsibly.

I used to raise rabbits several years ago (I should say, many looooongyears ago ;)) and I suppose it could have been called 'backyardbreeding', as I had my rabbits housed outdoors in the backyard; but thetype of rabbit husbandry I practiced (as well as many small breedershere do) in no way falls under the stereotypical meaning of the term'backyard breeder'. I bred my bunnies mostly for show, andonly bred occasionally...then sold the babies to other breeders. Forthe few bunnies who didn't get sold to breeders, I tried to ensure asmuch as possible that they went to loving homes. And while I didn'thave half the knowledge of rabbits back then that many of the membersof this forum do have, I did take care of them to the best of myability, made sure they had ample food, water, hay, free time to run inthe grass, and love...lots of it. When I finally had to give them up -due to circumstances beyond my control - I was heartbroken. This is nota description of a backyard breeder...what determines a backyardbreeder - to me - is simply a lack of compassion for the welfare of theanimal.

I think the whole name for "backyard breeders"actually came from dog breeders- the kind that keep the dogs in smallpens outside with no exercise and breed indescriminately.Since rabbits are still popular outdoor pets and most breeders don'tkeep them in a house, that would make most rabbit breeders backyardbreeders, which simply isn't true.

Tracey, we don't have any issue at all with responsible rabbitbreeders. Just the ones that breed for no other reason thanfun or for selling for pet shops, or don't take care of theirrabbits. I know what forum you're talking about and they arevery harsh about breeders, but then again it's a rescue site.This forum is for *all* rabbit lovers.:)

jil101ca wrote:
Tracey, this is an awsome site, some are very opinonated but it is onlybecause they care so very much. There is no backstabbing here. onlypeople who want to educate and help the bunny population.
Thanks that is great to know. I only mentioned that one of myrabbits had gotten pregnant and that i was after a french lop and theyautomatically think i am breeding. I know a few people that hobbies arerabbit breeding, bird breeding, dog breeding etc and i don't see theharm in it if that is what they want to do.

The thing is, rescue folks are seeing trulyappalling results of indiscriminate breeding on a very regular basis -and basd on that alone, I can't say I blame them for getting a terribleidea of breeders/breeding in general. I do believe that thereare some very responsible breeders out there, but that they'rerelatively few and far between - ditto for those who are responsiblebreeders of any other animal or bird.

Bringing life into the world is a huge responsibility; not a risk I'd want to take with much-loved pets.

the fact that I live in a state that's notorious for "puppy mills" hasa lot to do with my thoughts on this - because there certainly are"rabbit mills," and the babies from those operations end up beingrescued if they're really, really lucky. (i.e., not manyof their stories have happy endings.)

Also, once you've hung around on this (and similar) boards for a while,you'll see that far too many people drop by who want to breed theirrabbits just to see what happens, or because they think baby bunniesare cute, or.... So many oither bad reasons that don't take healthconcerns, vet care and more into account. It gets very depressing toread those kinds of posts, especially when the posters are clearlyplanning to go ahead and do irresponsible breeding regardless ofpotential consequences.

Latest posts

Back