back from the PaSRBA Convention, with new additions. :-)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
The Convention was fun!! I was running a fever and not feeling 100%, but still had fun. Saw Pam judging, but couldn't seem to catch her in a down time. She was busy, busy, busy!

I bought an intermediate black French Lop doe and a 10 wk old Cali doe (for my daughter). They're both really nice. I saw another French jr. doe for sale, but wasn't paying $200 for her.

Got a big bag of Critical Care, and some other odds and ends. Checked out some of the carriers they have, and saw some that are on my "wish list".

I do think they need to allocate more space for the actual judging. With all the people that had to bring their rabbits ahead of time to the tables, on carts, and the lawn chairs, and those with rabbits actually on the table, you couldn't even move, much less see any of the actual judging. Friends that I bought my other Frenchies from were there, with their Flems, and we were able to actually hear the judge's comments and watch the judging. The youth wasn't nearly as congested as the open, so hung out there gathering information.

There were a couple of the girls from my daughter's 4-H club that were showing, so she hung out with them, helping (and checking out boys, if their conversations were any indication. LOL). This was her first rabbit show, and she agrees it looks like fun. After showing horses from the time she could walk, she was like, "You just plop them on the table then pick them up when the judge is finished." LOL I tried to tell her that, but I guess seeing is believing, or she thought I was just pulling her leg. haha

All-in-all, a very good time. I really wanted to see the rabbit hopping tomorrow, but unless I'm feeling better in the next few hours, it won't be happening. :-(

Pics of the two new girls (not posed, taken by my daughter):

421250_3256017725052_1405356771_3235450_1217977186_n.jpg

She didn't come with a name, so we've been calling her Rosa..anyone have any better suggestions???

395823_3256018485071_1405356771_3235452_1263936974_n.jpg

This is Trisha, the 10 wk. old Cal. It's a new line that the breeder is working on, and he said my Al's Cal buck should cross really well with her. We shall see...

397897_3256019165088_1405356771_3235453_1673213317_n.jpg

There were so many for sale, too!! And quite a few for free. But from now on I have to go to the shows to show and NOT collect more buns! LOL

Larry, I almost brought home a female Flem. She was really cute and I thought she'd make a great pet. But by the time I saw the owners there, she was already gone. :-(

Because of the weather, we couldn't make it. Plans after picking up our bun, was to go see the show. But with the weather and the long drive, just couldn't swing it nor would we have taken the chance. I know there will be more shows and truly sorry I missed this one.

Beautiful bunnies. Though I would have done the same thing, glad my husband would have been with me and stopped me bringing home more bunnies.

Glad to hear your daughter had a good time at the show and is interested in showing. Hope you are feeling better.

K :)

Karen, it was really awesome! I'm glad I didn't feel crappy until after we started the journey, or I probably wouldn't have gone. My hubby has NO clue I bought more rabbits. He told me, after buying the first four, "No more!" I'm like, "Just how many do I have now?" He just looked, and said, "good question." I didn't tell him how many, and he hasn't bothered looking. LOL When I have all the horses kicked out of the barn to make room for rabbits, he'll figure it out. haha

What new bun did you get?

Kitty's down at the barn now, bonding with her new little doe. She's going to use her for Showmanship, so she said she was going to start practicing now. I just hope it doesn't get cold out again, or none of us spend much time down there. :-(

Went to Washington, PA and picked up a Purebred DM Lion Head. Posted a pic on my blog (ZRabbits). I'm absolutely in love with this breed. Very impressed with this young breeder that I got Neville from. Will be getting a doe from another litter to start my breeding program. I know Lion Heads aren't recognized YET by the ARBA, but hopefully one day they will be. I think they are an awesome rabbit breed.

Love your daughter's new bunny. I love the Cali's markings. Glad to hear she's started practicing already. The more she practices or bonding IMHO with Trisha, I think it will be a thrilling experience for both of them when they start to show. I hope you let us know how they both do.

Wow, I never realized they weren't recognized. There are so many around, I would have thought they'd be in. I'll have to try to figure out how to get to your blog.

Free bunnies?!?! Oh boy I'm so glad I didn't go! Ori wouldn't have been able to leave without more bunnies...
The trip for us was 3.5-4 hours each way so we thought against it. Kind of a lot of travel for us in one day.
So jealous! Cute new bunnies :biggrin:

wendymac wrote:
The Convention was fun!! I was running a fever and not feeling 100%, but still had fun. Saw Pam judging, but couldn't seem to catch her in a down time. She was busy, busy, busy!

Wish I could have met you guys. We had to leave unexpectedly for a family emergency after the show on Saturday.

Yep, all kinds of free bunnies. They were either show bunnies (for a fee) or pet ones (for free).

Pam, what time were you done on Saturday? We went by your table one last time before we left, around noon, and you weren't there. I'll have to catch up with you at the next show, which I'm not sure when/where that will be. LOL

wendymac wrote:
Wow, I never realized they weren't recognized. There are so many around, I would have thought they'd be in. I'll have to try to figure out how to get to your blog.
Lion Heads are allowed to show in the Open Catagory. But they can't win best of show because it's a breed not recognized by the ARBA. Glad to hear that many were at the show. Understand the Lion Head is a specialty breed started in the 90's, but would really like to see it recognized.

To get my blog, go to the Main Menu to the catagory for Blogs, find ZRabbits, that's mine. I would really like to hear what you think. Not the best pics yet, but I'll have plenty on their in the future. Really looking forward to see how his mane and skirt grows in. Love his coloring. Has lots of chocolate in his lineage. I thought I would go safe with staying black, but truly like the chocolate or diluted gene. Such pretty colors come out. And with the wool the lighter colors make it look so soft. Have an otter that I'm hoping is a doe. Looking forward to seeing what combinations I get out of that. But they both have the Double Mane Gene, which I really like.

Want to hear something strange? I was just reading the show catalog for the March show in Washington, PA. It says right on there, "no lionheads." Wonder if that's going to be the new standard, until they're recognized?

Heading to your blog now...

wendymac wrote:
Want to hear something strange? I was just reading the show catalog for the March show in Washington, PA. It says right on there, "no lionheads." Wonder if that's going to be the new standard, until they're recognized?

Heading to your blog now...
That's truly a shame to hear. Looks like that's what might be happening. I had read that Lion Head people (the ones really pushing the breed) lost their last bid to make this a recognized breed. Hate when politics rears it's ugly head. Now banning completely until recognized. Truly a shame.

I'll have to go on the National Lion Head Association's website and read up on what's going on. Appreciate the info.

I don't know that all shows are doing that. They were the only ones with a complete schedule up, though.

I read that they didn't pass because the ones she brought were cowhocked, had questionable pedigrees, and they had hair that was too long over their hips. At least that's what was in the DR.

wendymac wrote:
I don't know that all shows are doing that. They were the only ones with a complete schedule up, though.

I read that they didn't pass because the ones she brought were cowhocked, had questionable pedigrees, and they had hair that was too long over their hips. At least that's what was in the DR.
Thanks for the info. The hair over the hips is the skirt. The people pushing the Lion Head were pushing for Single Mane only. They don't like the skirt, which I don't understand why. Seen Lion Heads with beautiful full Manes and Skirts that were really impressive.

But truly a shame that she lost because of cowhocked. Bad breeding IMO. Think she tried to push it too hard. No wonder questionable pedigrees if cowhocked showed up.

Hopefully this "no lion head" is for just this one show. I don't blame ARBA for turning down the bid if it's the case of a physical deficiency and questionable breeding. But I hope this doesn't push the breed out completely from being considered.

Well, the pedigree was because the color she had listed wasn't genetically possible with the pedigree she presented. And both specimens (I think it was only two, but could be mistaken) were cowhocked.

And yeah, they just want the big mane, but then shorter hair over the rest of the body (to emphasis the mane, would be my guess).

How many showings can it fail before the whole process has to be repeated?

wendymac wrote:
Well, the pedigree was because the color she had listed wasn't genetically possible with the pedigree she presented. And both specimens (I think it was only two, but could be mistaken) were cowhocked.

And yeah, they just want the big mane, but then shorter hair over the rest of the body (to emphasis the mane, would be my guess).

How many showings can it fail before the whole process has to be repeated?
I don't know about how many showings. I know there have been several attempts. I need to research more on it. Shame she fudged it. Hurts the rest who actually have their pedigrees in order and their stock sound.

The single mane to me looks to whispy and whimpy. That's just my opinion. Maybe I'll push Double Manes. lol.

Latest posts

Back