back from teeth consult

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
Well the doctor was more plesant then previous times , i think bunnies are her thing, she even had bunny earings on,lol.

Ok so Metcam is the pain med she uses, she will show me how to do sub q fluids if i feel i need to know, they will file or do what they have to do to the back teeth when they have him under. They will give him an antibotic and he needs pre op blood work done, she has done many of these surgeries. now here is the break down of the estimate and what it says. Check out the antibotic to see if it is ok

Gen gas inhal/inj, ind (rout)

gas anesthesia inject induct

recovery rm/post op monitor

catheter iv-surgery

catheter iv- short procedure

fluid therapy- surgery

extraction-routine

office visit pre anes. av/ex

dental-rabbit-extended

cbc

sma profile major

disp- trimeth sulfa 48

disp-metacam per ml

my total damage is going to be 526.00, that is of course an estimate but it is ok i was thinking that it would be up around 1000.00 and that is why i waited till income tax time,lol

She did make it sound like no big deal like he would not eat for a day or two but he would start eating soon, if not right away, but she did tell me i might have to feed critical care, or baby food.

Randy I would like to know what you think of the above and such :D

Thanks

Fran and Sooty

In my honest opinion...I would get a second opinion....or since you are more comfortable with this vet, maybe a little more discussion. Couple of things concern me...but one is just horrifying based on our experience. Just remember,I am not a vet. My comments are based solely on our experiences with this procedure.

The reason I prefer intubation is this is not a short or easy procedure. If you use a gas inhalant with a mask (and our vet uses injectables now but few vets know about using them) then the rabbit keeps waking up during the procedure since the mask has to be constantly removed to work on the teeth. The rabbit starts to wake up and then they have to be remasked and resedated. I don't like that at all. By intubation, it not only keeps the rabbit properly sedated, it also allows close monitoring of blood oxygen content as well as helps to prevent things from going down into the lungs....debris from the procedure and blood.

The antibioitic is purely preventative. We have never used an antibiotic post-op. If I did use one, it would be injected. Most vets don't use trimeth as an injectable. The gut is going to be experiencing some stress for a few days after this procedure....I am not fond of putting more stress in there by adding an antibiotic orally. If I did do an antibiotic, I think it would probably be an injected drug.

And Metacam is nowhere close to being proper pain meds after this procedure. I do use Metacam after these procedures (for no more than 4 days) but I also have them on a high end dose of narcotics. This is a very painful surgery. The roots are quite long. And with the tiny mouths, the muscles in the jaws get stretched a bit. Our vet (and she is a professor at a major vet school) always wants our rabbits to be on a narcotic for most post-op pain control. From our experiences, it appears that dental extractions are more painful than spays. I plan for at least 72 hours after the procedure before you see any signs of eating, drinking, etc.....and that is with the more aggressive pain control.

I would also suggest you learn to do sub-q fluids. I suspect you will need it here...but if not this time, you will need that skill somewhere down the road. It is a nice thing to know how to do and when used at the correct time it is a life saver. I can also explain a method that I use with wildlife that you can do multiple injections with only one stick of a needle each time. Very few domestic vets use this method. It's a wildlife thing. But basically you can use a butterfly catheter with a luer lock....you make one stick for each time you need to medicate by injection. You can just unscrew the syringe and attach another while leaving the catheter in place during that particular dosing.

Randy

Just to add my 2cents - and I am not a vet, and also have only had a bunny for about 9 months.

But I did work at a rabbit vet's office for about a year; we did quite a few rabbit dentals, and never intubated. What the vet did was. mask the rabbit down, and then switched to a modified thng that fit onto the anesthesia machine. They took a plastic syringe case with bandaging tape around the edge to make it soft, and it fit right over the rabbit's nostrils, so it was breathing the gas but the mouth area was free to do the dental.

We did this tons of times on small mammals, like rats, as well when they needed dentals.I never saw a rabbit wake up during the procedure.

Eileen I will ask about that if i take him to get the blood done, maybe i will get the blood anyway even if i dont use them .

Randy Would Buprenex be adequite pain meds for him? I will ask about maybe getting this instead of metcam?

Latest posts

Back