Back Again!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallenRabbit

Reaction score
:wiggle Hey everyone! I am back into the forums recently. My B-Day's coming up in August and I might be getting a bun for myself. Like a little present for me. I will try to adopt from the San Diego Rabbit Society, but will need to keep the rabbit inside. It depends on the space. If I cannot keep him inside, I have many more places for him to relax. For example, the patio where it will be very cool for him in the summer, under some trees, in the side yard. I have a LARGE side yard which I could convert into a rabbit yard. What do you all think? :construction

Hey welcome back again! It's great you are still on your quest to get a rabbit. It shows that you really want one. I sure hope it works out :)

As far as inside vs outside i think I've talked to you about it before but I'm a proponet of rabbits living inside with their family. So if that's a possibility i would do that.

Welcome back! I hope you do get a bunny.

And I agree with Lisa, if you can keep him inside than it would be best if you do. But a bunny yard still would be cool.

Rabbits can be house pets, but they do just as well outdoors in mild climates. If temperatures dip lower than 30 or over 85 Fahrenheit for prolonged periods of time, indoors might be best. Otherwise, rabbits enjoy being outdoors as long as they have shelter from the elements (like any other animal).

It's important to keep natural predators in mind though. If you live in a town or residential area where you mostly just see cats, dogs and other wild rabbits/birds, a secure fenced in enclosure should be just fine. If you're in a rural area where more determined predators are a concern, keeping rabbits outdoors can be more of a risk. In that case, you will want to take extra precaution to protect them. Maybe instead of using chicken wire on a wood frame, build the pen inside a large dog kennel...that kind of thing. :)

Thanks for the ideas! I live in a residential area, but right up the way is a mountain. We do see a couple coyotes every now and then. I will try to make a large dog kennel part of the habitat if he is outside, just in case. Would the cage below be good? With that one, if it was outside, I could walk in a play more with the rabbit. If it was a going to be indoors, I would do the NIC cages.

rabbit_run_1.jpg

That's a really neat idea! I like that design since you can walk in, like you said. Make sure there is a small, enclosed area where your rabbit can hide if they feel threatened. Most of the time, it may just be an airplane flying over or dog barking down the street (as "threatening" as a vacuum cleaner or the hair dryer inside). But incase the rabbit would ever be threatened by an actual predator, your enclosure will keep them out and the bunny has a place to get away and feel safe. :)

That is a very nice outside enclosure! Rabbits can do okay in outside habitats but I think there is more of an effort required on the owners part to spend enough time with bunny. For example, bunny can be out running around/bonding with you while you are reading, doing homework, watching TV, eating a snack....etc. I'm trying to appeal to what's easier for you :) Again, if NIC cage inside is an option, why would you want bunny outside? And I'm not trying to be snarky I'm honestly curious if there is a benefit or reason for you as to why you would choose outside.

That is a very nice outside enclosure! Rabbits can do okay in outside habitats but I think there is more of an effort required on the owners part to spend enough time with bunny. For example, bunny can be out running around/bonding with you while you are reading, doing homework, watching TV, eating a snack....etc. I'm trying to appeal to what's easier for you :) Again, if NIC cage inside is an option, why would you want bunny outside? And I'm not trying to be snarky I'm honestly curious if there is a benefit or reason for you as to why you would choose outside.
I don't that as Snarky, ha. Well my house isn't able to have a big cage in it and remain clean. It would make the house that much more cramped. I mean my yard has lots of space, therefore it can have a bigger environment. People who live with me also believe rabbits are OUTDOOR pets only. So I will warm up the idea that they can be indoors and be well trained. :brownbunny

Oh I see well space definitely can be a deciding factor. :) Also, how much free time out bunny has can help determine cage size too. My two are free run all day and only caged at night.....even though they have a 3 level NIC cage I would feel adequate going smaller if the need ever arises because they are out so much. And of course your family has to "approve" of an indoor bunny too. Maybe they will warm up to the idea the more they get to learn about house bunnies.
Good luck and keep us updated! :)

Since there is a possibility of Coyotes, I'd use much heavier guage wire, or even put an inside and outside layer and a double door set up. My parents lived in Sonora, Ca, and we buillt a double walled chicken coup with a very heavy guage wire, even on the floor.

Latest posts

Back