bachelor bun or more than one bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girlzilla

Reaction score
my bun is approximately 2 years old and has spent most of his life as a bachelor. when he was about a year old i gothim a girlfriend who he bonded with almost immediately. sadly she developed hind limb paralysis only a week after i adopted her and had to be put to sleep. about a month after her passing, i adopted another girl bun for him but he went insane and tore chunks of her fur out and absolutely refused to befriend her. in the end i took her back to her original home after unsuccessfully bonding them. i'm not sure if it was just a personality clash or if he has decided he prefers to live alone.

my question is, how can you tell if your bun wants/needs a playmate or if they are happier living with just their human as their playmate? he hates the cat and tries to beat her senseless whenever he can but this could just be because she comes into his territory sometimes (my bedroom). i hate to think of him being lonely but he gives me the impression that he is, shall we say, possessive and doesn't particularly want to share me. i work full time so he spends approx 9 hours a day on his own while i am at work.

i want whatever is best for my wabbit but i'm not sure if getting him another girl would be a good idea or just annoy him that he suddenly has an unwanted room mate.

I hear you! I have one boy bunny. I waffle back and forth about getting him a friend. Actually, in my case, it's really ME that doesn't want to share him with another bunny! lol!

I have been told it is possible to arrange with shelter a bunny date. Let your bun meet another bunny (bunnies) in a neutural setting and see if he gets along. That way you can see if he wants to be alone, or if he wants a friend but just needs to meet the right one.

golfdiva wrote:
I have been told it is possible to arrange with shelter a bunny date. Let your bun meet another bunny (bunnies) in a neutural setting and see if he gets along. That way you can see if he wants to be alone, or if he wants a friend but just needs to meet the right one.

We did that when we were seeing if Teacup needed a freind. It turned out she did, so we adopted Bud and Kali. We lost Bud too recently after adopting him.

-TK

My boy Oscar is a bachelor and is 2yrsold. I adopted a girlfriend for him but it didn't work out:( (She's with my sister..buckrogers Ella and Murphy) Oscar got sick during bonding and had soft stool once a week due stress so we stopped.

I think about getting him a girlfriend but would rather not risk his health again, he's a very sensitve bun with a very delicate immune system. I think he's happy...He binkies everymorning and in the late afternoon. He loves to snuggle and be pet.

Having said thatI work midnights and am home everyday from 6am til 10pm with him.he getspet forat least 2hrs everyday whileI'm watching tv or on the computer.

When i'm home all day,(6am-10pm)from about 930am til 5pm he relaxes and sleeps, and is not looking for any attention from me(this is normally when i sleep but on my days off the same applies and i am up and about) So that's just about 8hrs.....maybe if you were home he'd be relaxing anyways during that time like my boy Oscar.

K well, i didn't give u an answer but, you know your bun. Hope that helped just a little.

Latest posts

Back