babys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin1970

Reaction score
hi there we checked on our rabbits tonight and found a live baby but only 1. can someone tell me if this is normal and how long it is between delivering each baby could she still be in labour thanks

Normally there are more than one baby.But if she is a small breed or this is her first litter there may be just one baby. Labour is normally only about 15-20 minutes and she will give birth to all the babies very quickly. She could have a stuck kit, take a look at her vent area and also feel around to see if you can feel any unusual lumps. She may have to go to a vet to make sure all the babies are out.

What kind of rabbit is she?

Is she seperated from the buck? Does can get pregnant immediatly after giving birth, but it is very hard on her and the other babies. The babies will have to be weaned at 4 weeks when the second litter is born rather than at 8 weeks, which is best for them.

Did mom build a nest with lots of fur?

Does the babies belly look round and full or does it look shrunken and wrinkly?

--Dawn

hi ty for getting back to me ok just checked her over her belly is still big dont seam to be anything blocked and she havent pulled much hair out what do i do next? looked through the next only 1 baby can be counted. yes it is her first littler

You can try to see if any of her tummy fur is loose. If you can get a bit of fur to put in the nest that will help. Baby bunnies don't have fur so they have a hard time holding in body heat. Since this little one is a singleton, you need to make sure he has lots of insultation.You can use clean cotton balls for extra warmth if you can't get any fur.

Does the baby look like it has been fed? If not,you will need to try to get mom to feed him/her.Take mom and place her in the nest over the baby. Let her stand over the baby for about 5 minutes.

Rabbits will not lay with their babies and only feed them once or twice a day. So if you don't see mom feeding them that's normal. As long as the baby has a nice round belly, mom is feeding him when you not looking.

--Dawn

there is a little fur in the hutch but not much the babys belly seem qiute full. thank you very much for you help do this mean you think shell only have the 1? thanks again

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

What breed is she? A smaller bun like a dwarf? Or a bigger bun? A smaller breed is more likely to have smaller litters.

It is possible for her to have just one. She may have moreover night, that can happen sometimes. But most of the time they have them all in one shot.

The baby should be in a nest box (if you don't have one a shoe box will work for now). Fill the nest box with hay and make a nice hole in the middle or if mom made a nest just transfer the whole nest into the box.

The box will help keep the baby from wandering away from the warmth of the nest.

--Dawn

ok will do that shes bigger than a dwaf not sure what she is though i have a pic of her if you like to see her. she is taking all paper and hay in the bed area is this normal?

She may be building a nest with the paper and hay. So in that case I would say she's going to have more babies.

Yes a picture would be nice.

Keep us updated! And please ask any questions you need to.

You should also check out the information in the 101 section about Breeding and Care of the young: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12047&forum_id=17

--Dawn

I have had does give birth to a baby - and then hours (even 24 hours later) give birth to another baby or more. It doesn't happen often - but it can happen.

I'll never forget the time Pow Wow had her babies but they all died -another doe had 9 babies - so I fostered four babies to Pow Wow that night so she could be a mama. The next morning - there were FIVE babies in there....Pow Wow had gone ahead and had her last baby - and it lived!

Where she is such a small rabbit (breed) - I'd go ahead and keep an eye on her a lot to make sure she doesnt' have a stuck kit in a few hours or something.....especially since it is her first litter.

Please do keep us updated!

Peg

nothing much has happened yes she did build another nest but still only 1 baby but there is more fur now the baby looks really healthy. round belly and nice and warm. il keep you informed thats all for your help

Back