Baby Zappa isn't well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I'm fostering a litter of baby bunnies and their mom for the local shelter. They're about 2.5 weeks old now. Today I found little Zappa, the dutch baby, had a very large poo stuck half in and half out of his anus, which was very swollen, red and sore-looking.

First thought- warm, wet washcloth held to his bottom to soak the poo off. That's some darn hard, stubborn poo! And I found a tiny bit of clear mucous (hopefully just from intestinal irritation) and then... I started finding the occasional drop of blood.

2nd thought- (well, 2nd after remembering it's Sunday and my vets don't do emergency calls any more) call a breeder! Called Tinysmom, she's never seen this so she referred me to Randy, ra7751 , who is an experienced wildlife rehabber and often works with baby cottontails. He recommended mineral oil instead of water to soak the poo off and sub-q fluids (I don't have the stuff or experience) or unflavored Pedialyte. And to double check that my vets won't answer the phone. Calling my vet clinic referred me to the new emergency vet clinic 30 minutes away which doesn't take rabbits at all and they referred me to the emergency place in Milwaukee 1 hour+ away which isn't necessarily very good with rabbits. Gah... no help there!

I just came back from running out to get unflavored Pedialyte and the mineral oil seems to have soaked off the poo that was outside Zappa's rear. Yay! But the whole genital area is still very red and swollen and I'm not sure if there's still poo stuck on the inside for not. He must of removed the outside poo himself after it softened because I can't find it in the basket at all. I syringe-fed him 1 cc of Pedialyte very slowly and now he's resting in his basket again, with a warm rice sock to snuggle with.

Long post, huh? Anyway, that's everything up till now. Anyone else who has seen this happen or has recommendations please post!

Poor little guy, I have no experience with such a thing. While reading your post, the first thing that popped into my mind with shelter baby + poop problems is coccidia infection. Do you know if the mom was tested? Was she a stray for any amount of time? So many of the babies we take in have coccidia, but it usually gives them runny stools not the redness you are seeing. The other thought I had was a urinary tract infection, but I'd have no idea how to treat that.

{{{Zappa}}}

The shelter does not do fecals on rabbits, so no mama hasn't been tested. She does have normal-looking, normal smelling (aka not smelly) fecals. I saw what appeared to be normal baby bunny poop from Satchmo the other day and it was tiny and somewhat soft, makes sense because their primary food is milk with just a few nibbles of solids. This was a big chunk of concrete.

Although now that that's gone, the genital area looks more swollen than the anal area. ???

I'm going to go get a Snuggle Safe. I've been meaning to get one anyway and the rice sock doesn't hold a consistent temperature for long. Little Zappa seems ok in himself and is alert.

awwww Hon poor little bun. I have had a similar problem before it will settle down keep a close eye and keep bathing it with either the oil or tepid water and we put a little bit of sudacrem on it for a couple of days (baby nappy rash cream) the bum looked sore for a few days and was really worried about the baby but it came through it fine. (its bum looked a bit enlarged for a few days )

You will probably find a bit more stuck poop its most likely got jammed up and thats what makes it so sore

Can you use anything like bene-bac for his little tummy, or is he too young for that? Bene-bac has straightened Patrick each time I used it when he gets little rock-hard poo's. Maybe Zappa tried to eat too much of the pellets before his tummy was ready for it. I can't remember how active he was in the kennel when I saw him, but he rested very comfortably in my hand. Hope that wasn't the start of his not feeling well...

myheart

I'm back! Zappa is exploring the bigger basket I put him in so he'd have room to move away from the Snuggle Safe if it's too warm. He likes to be underneath the paper towels, it's cute.

Myheart, he was really active this morning. I had put the whole nestbox and babies on the couch to get pics of them and he explored the whole thing, slept for 5 minutes, and jumped out and explored again. At which point I picked him up and found his (her?) ugly bottom.

I probably should have picked up some Benebac at Petsmart since I was just there, but oh well. I don't know if I'd want to give him any without a vet checking him, just in case. And he will be going to the vet tomorrow unless for some strange reason he looks 100% well. Anal bleeding of any amount scares me.

I just gave him another cc of Pedialyte. Zappa is spunky enough to squeak in protest and fight the syringe a bit. He's also grooming himself.:)

:):D:pGlad to hear he is feeling a bit feisty. He/She is very pretty with the unique hair color and is bound to find a great home! Give him nose rubs for me and tell him to get better...

myheart

http://squirrelworld.com/RabRehab2.html
Hi Angela ,

What did Randy think it was?

I don't know anything about this so I looked this up ..there is a part one and two and it refers to wild rabbits but I think they did mention the use of probiotics .

I thought maybe you could glean something useful from it .
I've been at the shelter so am just reading this

How is he now?

He's good, although his bits actually look a little more sore. There must still be more poop in there that has to come out. The Snuggle Safe is really warm so he's been hanging out a ways away from it underneath some paper towels. Every time I lift them up to look at him, he's like hey! I liked that! He's bright eyed and alert, although I'm sure he's missing his litter mates. I'll put him in with them tonight before I go to bed, and make sure he gets a feeding from Jazzy too.

that's good wish I could help more

I was thinking probably Pam Nock could help with this and also the other current poster with the young bun with mushy poops.

Oh and I forgot to say that Randy thought it was along the lines of a fecal impaction. I'm giving Pedialyte to keep Zappa hydrated and to hopefully soften up any stuck poop that's still in him.

Zappa was bouncing around the the basket so I thought I'd try to take some pics. He squirms at the most inconvenient times! This is what I could get. Right now he's snuggled in my lap.

He's actually tranced right now. Very disapproving, but tranced.
100_5918a.jpg

A closer look. The part you can see is actually the genital opening, not the anus which was covered by his furry foot. Very very sore.
100_5921a.jpg

Anyone know how much Pedialyte I should be giving him?

I don't know how much pedialyte to give him but I wouldn't overdo it.
I think that you said that randy mentioned sq fluids .... I wonder if your vet has experience with infant rabbits?

Seems like it would be safer to give sq than by mouth.

I would just try to get him through the night ,

and then to the vet

I'm sorry that I'm not more helpful

I'm so afraid of him aspirating liquid into his lungs, it's probably better if he could get sub-q fluids. I called Randy again and he said around 2 cc's of fluid is good since he's still being nursed.

I have no idea if any of the rabbit vets here have worked on young babies, but I'll find out soon enough.:?

Edit: Oh! And it doesn't look like there is a urinary problem. Zappa left two pale yellow pee spots on the white towel.

Poor little guy! I also have no experience but would think the pedialyte is the best way to treat it for now.

Even if you dont have a vet experienced with babies (and subQ), if you can get some lactated ringers and a needle/syringe its really easy to do on babies since their skin is so thin.

I really hope hes going to be ok! Im going to be so worried about this little one. Keep us posted and I'll be sending lots of prayers.

Haley

My only thought is that maybe he ate some hay, seeing moma do that, and his little tummy can't digest that yet? Just an idea. He is so cute and I really want him to get better. If your vet can't help, it sounds like Polly has some good comments.
:clover:

He's alert, active, and has tiny little poopies! I think they look normal, I don't really know so I'm saving them for the vet. He'll be seeing Dr. Bixler (not my favorite, but she's pretty good) at 11:45.

He was sleeping on James' belly for the last bit but it's playtime now and he's running around on the couch.

Latest posts

Back