Baby Trade

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyGal

Reaction score
My recent 10 baby rabbits have run into a problem. Kiwi who gave birth to 2 is overfeeding them. They are 2 days younger but still twice the size of Gracies babies. 4 of Gracies babies are getting UNDER fed due to the fact the most Gracie has ever had was 4 so she is not use to taking care of so many babies.
We did a bunny trade. It is kinda risky but if I let Kiwis babies stay with her they weill be to fat to walk and if I let those 4 of Gracies babies stay with her they will starve to death. So I traded.
I took 4 of Gracies babies and Kiwi's 2 and switched them around. Gracie now only has 6 babies and Kiwi has 4.

There is nothing wrong with fostering babies to another mother. 2 days age difference is not enough to be concerned about. I usually breed 2-3 does on the same day for just that reason. If someone has too big a litter, and someone has a smaller number, I can swap them around. My mother's don't mind (I don't think they can count!) and all the babies end up getting fed more evenly.

It's the more responsible thing to do, assuring that all the babies are well cared for and well fed. It's also much better for your does. Raising a huge litter is stressful and taxing on them.

Latest posts

Back