Baby toenail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weedflemishgiants

Reaction score
Okay binker stinker is three weeks old now. And i looked at him today and he is missing some hair and a toenail on one foot. The toe looks kind of round and I thought it was swollen but on closer exam no swelling, no blood,no scratch and where the toe was it is kind of white and no scabbing. I see the place where the nail used to be, and if I feel it I can feel something sharp sticking out of it but can't tell what it is.

What are the odds that the nail is gone altogether and if it is just badly broken will it grow back?

But just in case it does swell any preventative I should do?

If you can feel something sharp it may come back. Just hope that it doesn't come back in white.I would keep neosporin on it in case it hasn't healed completely.

Good Luck

Roger

I hate when that happens. I had a really nice doe catch a nail on the wire when she was little, and it never came back. I agree with Roger, probably just dab some Neosporin on it in case it's not totally healed yet, that's about it.

My bf's sweet little nethie is missing a dewclaw and two nails (if i remember correctly). They're just little stubs of nail sticking out of the toe, no more than half a centimeter long. They haven't grown at all in the time we've had him. It may be why such a pretty bunny ended up at a shelter--not showable with those broken nails!

It's possible momma got a little over zealous cleaning him and damaged the toenail... it may not grow back. (No loss if you're not showing him! One less nail to trim!) If it does grow back, keep an eye on it, it may come in crooked or angled, which may require more frequent trimming to prevent injury or irritation.

Hey thanks everybody. It does kind of look like it might be gone. LOL

I was hoping to show him that is true, but actually he is more for breeding next year to a doe coming out herefrom Kentucky ARBA this October. Yes, his girlfriend has already been chosen.;)

Still.... would have been nice to show up with a sandy well sprung in the rib cage for a change. He is six generations from my original Flemish and the whole idea was to correct narrow shoulders and have a wider rib cage. Which we got finally. But now we have big shoulders and nice rib cage and no toenail. :(

Sometimes, all you can do is laugh.

He's young, give him a few weeks. If the nail is going to grow back (if the nail bed wasn't damaged) you'll know in 3-4 weeks. Another consideration is the damaged part of the toe may come back with white hairs. Or the nail may come back in white (due to the injury). Give him time and see what happens. He'll still be fine for breeding!

Yeah, "stuff" happens. You have to keep your sense of humor... and patience.

Well he already is a VIB-very important bunny. those are mymost valuablebunnies that hardly ever go to a show. ;)

Shows are tough. Long drives, dehydration, diarrhea, extreme stress, bacteria, parasites, injuries, accidents, rough handling by judges or clerks. And that is just what it's like for the humans.:biggrin2:

The bunnies, well, they suffer too.

So my most valuable bunns never even see the inside of a car.

Latest posts

Back