Baby Squirrle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aina

Reaction score
Hey, this is Aina's brother. I need some help! Aina is out of town, and in the middle of something, she said to come here. I found it in my driveway. It's storming outside. It was soaking, and it was just lying there, not moving much. It's alive. I brought it inside and am trying to warm it up and dry it off, but I don't know what else to do, any help?

Oh no, so sorry. I couldn't post, but honestly, there wasn't really anything you could do other than exactly what you did. The chances of the poor baby surviving were very very slim.

That was so awesome of you to try, though.

RIP baby squirrel. :(

sas :(

Hi,

I agree with Pipp....you did everything you could possibly have done. I am a licensed rehabilitator so your postmakes an excellent opportunity to repost some guidelines on wildlife.....while this squirrel didn't make.....he might can help other wildlife.

Keep in mind that it is illegal nearly everywhere to possess native North American animals without a rehab permit....even if you are trying to help. Most laws provide a 24 hour window to allow time to find and transfer the animal to a licensed rehabilitator. For the most part...mammals, amphibians and reptiles are under the jurisdiction of individual states. All birds native to North America fall under federal jurisidiction.

First....make sure the animal needs to be rescues. We have many animals "kidnapped" each season by well meaning people. Cottontail mothers do not stay with their kits but visit usually once a day (most often very early in the morning) to care for her young. Do not expect to see mom near the nest in daylight. Fawns are often found at the edges of fields. If the fawn shows no visible injury and is not crying...leave it alone. It is most likely "parked" by it's mother....it will have it's legs curled up neatly underneath and it's head will be tucked. Mom has twins many times and she places them in different places in an effort to make sure at least one of them survives. Many baby birds are taken by well meaning people when they are just fledging...they are learning to fly. Mom and dad are nearby. If there is no sign of injury or sickness...try to keep dogs and cats confined and watch the baby from a distance to make sure mom or dad comes back. One notable exception is Virginia Opossums. They are attached to mom so if a baby comes off, it can't usually reattach.

If you find an animal in need, place it in a well ventilated cardboard box or plastic pet carrier. Line it with something soft like an old tee shirt (don't use the loop type towels). Place the box in a quiet and warm area well away from human and domestic pet activity. If the animal doesn't have fur/feathers...it is too young to self regulate it's body temp and will become hypothermic even at room temp. A heating pad on lowest setting placed under part of the box/carrier will usually provide ample warmth. You can also used uncooked beans or rice in an sock...tie it up and heat it in the microwave. Hot water bottons, heated bottled water or water filled surgical gloves can also provide warmth. I had a college student place a bird on top of her laptop computer. DO NOT OFFER FOOD OR WATER TO ANY ANIMAL!! Cow's milk will usually result in death or at least a very sick animal. This can seriously jeapordize their health. Wildlife takes special formulas and techniques. Feeding a cold or dehydrated animal can kill it. We have to "tube" many babies since they don't usually do well on syringe feedings especially when they are very young. They can easily aspirate formula and that can develop into life threatening pneumonia. It is easier for a rehabber to fix hungry than a serious medical problem caused by improper feeding. Seek out a licensed rehabber. Here is a link to one of the more comprehensive sites of rehabber listings. http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Randy

Latest posts

Back