Baby Reds!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I've got some bad news- the babies have seemed to develope a nest box eye and their little peepers are practically glued shut when I go to clean them out. I think it's because it's so cold and there must have been some dust in the bedding I had. I'll have to clean that out and get them a heat lamp so they'll start to venture out into the cage instead of keeping in the box. THen again, I think momma is making them stay in there because every time they try to jump out she runs to the front of the box and growls at them?? Strange....

I've had a few Flemish moms that do the same thing. Everytime they start to venture out, Momma herds them back in or growls at them. Silly momma's!

Try warm wet soaks on the eyes. I've found Epsom salts in warm water on a cotton ball, works well.

It's a little early, (and the weather isn't really warm), but if you can get their eyes to stay open, turn the nestbox on it's side. The babies can come and go a little easier and Momma can't confine them as easily.

You also may want to bring the nestbox and litter inside at night. Just for a few days.... There may be a good chance that Momma is sitting in the nestbox at night (to keep warm?) and urinating on them. (Major cause of "Nestbox Eye")

I had never thought about turning it on its side- that's a really good idea!! I'm a little worried though because I have another doe who's do on Thanksgiving and I don't have the heat there. I'm thinking I'm going to HAVE to to have the light for her as my cat goes into the basement at night and he tries to eat the rabbits though they're twice his size. I think it would probably be too much stress on her to since she's a pretty fussy one to begin with. It's funny but my stud colt loves having the babies in his barn- he goes over there whenever he can to "talk" to them- he actually nickers and puts his head down so he's eye to eye with them... it's so cute.

Ok- the pics are big but here's a couple

bunnies041.jpg

bunnies037.jpg

EEEEKKK! Baby Reds! How awesome! What a beautiful color they have! And they have such lovely heads!

(Time to put a few rings in that back corner before someone makes a break for it! :p)

How are you feeling?Done with the first trimester? Are you showing yet? LOL! :biggrin2:

I'm feeling pretty good right now! This morning it was about 30 degrees outside and snowing so hubby snapped these couple pictures because there was no way I was getting out so early in the cold! Well, I would have but he's absolutely in love with these little fellows. Of course, they wouldn't hardly sit still because the cool weather makes them all so frisky.

I have some other pictures of our animals I'll probably be posting in the "Let Your Hare Down" thread soon since I finally got my internet back. They phone company came out yesterday and stayed for about an hour because they don't know what was going on. They think it's something in their line but all I know is I finally have a computer back- for now!!

Oh yes, the belly is definately starting to grow. Got my first pair of maternity jeans yesterday!

:shock:

Red... Nz... :thud:I soooooooooooooooooooooo want one :thud:Not sure I'd ever find one in Greece though :cry4:

You have gorgeous bunners... That was well worth the wait! I love these pictures! We need more :tongue

Reds were actually the "original" new zealands but they're getting hard to find. On the show table whites and blacks seem to dominate. It might get interesting now with the introduction of Brokens.

Latest posts

Back