Baby Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattiegabco1

Reaction score
My rabbit (cherry) has been having babies and not feeding them. I was told to feed the kitten milk replacer or goat milk replacer. It didn't work very well so... I was wandering if I could get some feedback on what to feed newborn babies that do not have a mother that will feed them. Thanks so much! :)

~ Mattigabco1

How old is the doe? How many litters has she had? I try to breed at least 2 does at the same time, so the other one can foster if need be. If she's had a couple of litters, and hasn't taken care for them, then I probably would stop breeding her. Most breeders have a "three strikes and you're out" policy.

I have heard more than one person recommend goat milk .. are you sure she's nor feeding them? Rabbits only nurse a few times a day I've even heard of nursing once a day and they make it. Over feeding could be just as bad as starving.maybe someone with experience can let us know how to tell if their belly is empty?

The mother rabbit is about 3 years old and the father is also 3 years old and they have had 4 litters. The mother fed the first 2 litters and then stopped feeding the 3rd and 4th litters about a week in and they died.

Are you sure they died from not eating? It sounds like maybe something else is going on. They wouldn't make it to a week without being fed. Do you sanitize all the nest boxes, cages, waterers, etc? Maybe, at 3, she's done producing.

Latest posts

Back