baby rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a suggestion of putting newspaper under the hay of Sophie's litter box to get the night poo for the babies. I know how important it is for the kits immune system.

Hope this helps.

K :)

PS: Understand why you still are nervous putting the babies back with Sophie. Now that they are a bit bigger and more active you could try, as long as you are there observing to make sure nothing happens. It's worth a try. Maybe an hour twice a day. Sophie may surprise you and take over the kits care. You never know. But you need to try. Truly understand your nervousness.

But they don't eat all of them, so if the babies are in there, she could allow them to eat some as well, before she its all of it. You never know. She may surprise you. Shes worked well with you getting these kits to this stage. She may truly surprise you.

Than she's a clean bunny. Good for her. But maybe she will share with the kits. And that may be the trigger for her to produce more than what she's eating.

Worth a try.

Good for you for all the time you take observing what Sophie is doing for the sake of her kits. Again, hats off to such a good job you are doing for these babies.

Just keep trying and stay the course. If they can't get Mom's poo, it is what is what it is. But at least you are trying.

Dad wouldn't have what the kits need in his poo. It has to come from Mom for the babies to get anything out of it for their immune system. It's good idea but I don't think it will work.

Karen, is his digestive system that different from mom's, that his cecals would be that different? I think it would be better than nothing.

LakeCondo wrote:
Karen, is his digestive system that different from mom's, that his cecals would be that different? I think it would be better than nothing.
Well Mom's have the antibodies for kits immune system. That's why babies eat their mother's cecals. It's just like breast feeding. Men don't have those antibodies. So basically there would be nothing in a males cecals pertaining to kits and their immune system.

Rosalie wrote:
she is a lazy bunny

If it makes you feel comfortable trying to get Mom's poo in whatever way, go for it.

You gotten so far with raising Sophie's kits and working with her to be a Mom, give a try. It can't hurt.

Definitely need pics of this though. lol

Rosalie wrote:
i put them in with her and she just runs away from them
She has no clue of being a Mom. It happens with First Timers. I think she associated you holding her down to feed her kits with food. Not with taking care of the babes.

You are their Mom now. If you were to breed again, Sophie might get the hang of being a Mom, but maybe not. Definitely not now. She has no clue what these things are and that's why she runs.

Latest posts

Back