Baby rabbits eating habits and a few other questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushy&juniper

Reaction score
Hi! I have baby rabbits that are 8 weeks old. What do you think about giving them kale, broccoli, radishes, and parsley? I want to introduce them bit by bit to different kinds of veggies. Also, I’m not sure exactly what kind of breed they are... I hope you can help me, I’ll post a picture of what they look like below. One last thing, what do you think about giving them treats? I’ve been giving them small pieces of carrots and apples, probably the size of your finger nail and they haven’t been having trouble with their stool. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
E060ED7A-5BBB-4630-B0FD-7ED79163B52A.jpegB18874D5-622F-489F-BF12-09DC5B5E35BA.jpeg

I would not introduce any fruits or veggies until they are 12 weeks old. It can mess with their gut. Stick to timothy hay and alfalfa-based pellets. Once they hit 12 weeks you can slowly introduce leafy greens such as lettuce, cilantro, radishes, and parsley. Don't introduce kale, cabbages, or broccoli because they are likely to cause gas. Watch their poop. If it gets watery at all stop offering them veggies. After a month of slowly introducing veggies, I would start introducing fruit. An adult rabbit should only get 1-2 tbs of fruit per day, so a 4-month-old should get 2-3 tsp.

Their body shape looks like Mini Rexes, with possibly some Dwarf Hotot in them. What gender are they? Once they hit 12 weeks there is a huge chance they will fight. It would be best to separate them when any dominance issues occur. You will have to house them separately until they can be spay/neutered. After the spay and neuter surgery, you will need to wait 1-2 months to allow their hormones to settle, before bonding them. Here are a link and video: Bonding Bunnies

Welcome to the forum! Cute bunnies!

As Mariam+Theo said, I wouldn’t introduce veggies until them are older. Kale and broccoli can cause gas, and kale is high in calcium also so they couldn’t be fed every day, even to an adult bunny.
I also wouldn’t give any treats at this age, alfalfa based pellets are great treats already.

My 1-year-old rabbit’s diet consists of: romaine lettuce, spinach, chard and coriander. For treats, he’ll get a small bite of banana, dried herbs or a few Timothy based pellets.

But for baby buns, Timothy hay and alfalfa pellets are enough until about 4-5 months old.
As for breed, I have no idea.

I would not introduce any fruits or veggies until they are 12 weeks old. It can mess with their gut. Stick to timothy hay and alfalfa-based pellets. Once they hit 12 weeks you can slowly introduce leafy greens such as lettuce, cilantro, radishes, and parsley. Don't introduce kale, cabbages, or broccoli because they are likely to cause gas. Watch their poop. If it gets watery at all stop offering them veggies. After a month of slowly introducing veggies, I would start introducing fruit. An adult rabbit should only get 1-2 tbs of fruit per day, so a 4-month-old should get 2-3 tsp.

Their body shape looks like Mini Rexes, with possibly some Dwarf Hotot in them. What gender are they? Once they hit 12 weeks there is a huge chance they will fight. It would be best to separate them when any dominance issues occur. You will have to house them separately until they can be spay/neutered. After the spay and neuter surgery, you will need to wait 1-2 months to allow their hormones to settle, before bonding them. Here are a link and video: Bonding Bunnies

Thank you a ton for the advice! We’re thinking Mushy (the white one) is a girl and Juniper is a boy, but we’re not 100% sure yet, since they are so young. My parents said they don’t want to spay/neuter them because they want to breed more baby rabbits.

No problem. They are so cute! Here is a link that might help: Sexing rabbit pictures!. If you plan on breeding them then you obviously don't need to spay/neuter them. Are they siblings? Are y'all planning on getting more rabbits to breed them with?

Welcome to the forum! Cute bunnies!

As Mariam+Theo said, I wouldn’t introduce veggies until them are older. Kale and broccoli can cause gas, and kale is high in calcium also so they couldn’t be fed every day, even to an adult bunny.
I also wouldn’t give any treats at this age, alfalfa based pellets are great treats already.

My 1-year-old rabbit’s diet consists of: romaine lettuce, spinach, chard and coriander. For treats, he’ll get a small bite of banana, dried herbs or a few Timothy based pellets.

But for baby buns, Timothy hay and alfalfa pellets are enough until about 4-5 months old.
As for breed, I have no idea.

Thank you! I will stop feeding them veggies and just give them timothy hay and alfalfa-based pellets. Also, I’m having a bit of trouble with litter training them. I have a litter box, well actually it’s a shoe box for now, but they are pooping everywhere. I am picking up the poop and putting it in their box. However, I think it’s slowly working because they don’t pee anywhere but their box.

If they are using the litter box for pee, the poops will soon follow. They are marking their territory right now so leave the poops during the day, and pick them all up at night.

No problem. They are so cute! Here is a link that might help: Sexing rabbit pictures!. If you plan on breeding them then you obviously don't need to spay/neuter them. Are they siblings? Are y'all planning on getting more rabbits to breed them with?

Haha, thank you! They are siblings, but I searched up that it’s not good to breed siblings so my mom is thinking about breeding them with my aunt’s rabbit.

Haha, thank you! They are siblings, but I searched up that it’s not good to breed siblings so my mom is thinking about breeding them with my aunt’s rabbit.
Yeah, it would not be good to breed siblings. You will need to separate them at 12 weeks because he can get her pregnant. If you breed them with your aunt's rabbit make sure the male is smaller then the female.

Stick to timothy hay and alfalfa-based pellets

I would stick to whatever they are used to for now, the same stuff their mother got. Food changes pose a risk in that age, right after weaning. It can work out, or not.

They are marking their territory right now

They are just kits. Kits just poop everywhere, marking territory comes later.

make sure the male is smaller then the female.

Not really necessary, the buck just should not be huge, 3/4 doe/buck is rather normal. It's imho just a theory that a big buck causes problems, haven't seen any proof for that. The other theory says that it's the does anatomy and supply determines the size of the kits. Guess the truth is somewhere in between.

Anyway, I hope there are good reasons to multiply rabbits. "Breeding" is more about having a plan, and a goal, besides producing more rabbits without considering genetics, health concerns and so on. Then there is the point of what to do with the offspring, there should be a viable plan before breeding them.

Sorry for the nitpicking, not in the best mood today...

Thank you a ton for the advice! We’re thinking Mushy (the white one) is a girl and Juniper is a boy, but we’re not 100% sure yet, since they are so young. My parents said they don’t want to spay/neuter them because they want to breed more baby rabbits.
As majorv said, its not best to breed siblings. If you do there is a big chance that the babies could be deformed in many ways. I'm not an expert with breeding but i did breed hamsters and i know that in any case you shouldn't breed siblings. If you really wanted to breed, make sure to do lots of research. You could also maybe find a different male if you wanted to breed. Have him over for a play date. It would be better than siblings mating. As to breed, i have no clue. They are so cute though! 😍

I would stick to whatever they are used to for now, the same stuff their mother got. Food changes pose a risk in that age, right after weaning. It can work out, or not.

They are just kits. Kits just poop everywhere, marking territory comes later.

Not really necessary, the buck just should not be huge, 3/4 doe/buck is rather normal. It's imho just a theory that a big buck causes problems, haven't seen any proof for that. The other theory says that it's the does anatomy and supply determines the size of the kits. Guess the truth is somewhere in between.

Anyway, I hope there are good reasons to multiply rabbits. "Breeding" is more about having a plan, and a goal, besides producing more rabbits without considering genetics, health concerns and so on. Then there is the point of what to do with the offspring, there should be a viable plan before breeding them.

Sorry for the nitpicking, not in the best mood today...

That’s okay! No worries!
The person we bought the rabbits from were actually 5 weeks old, at the time. The first few days I had them they were NOT pooping at all. I was super worried! I even wanted to take them to the vet but they person we got them from said that it was fine and that they’ll poop in a few days. It took about a week for them to both poop, at first the poop was elongated and dry. I don’t know if that was a good sign or not but after two days their poop became circular.
The person we got them from said they’ve only been eating pellets with their mom before they gave them to us.
The rabbit that we are assuming that is male is already very small.
Also, at what age are they not considered as lots anymore? 3 months?

Back