Baby kits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can sex kits at one day old. Most can't tell until kits are 5-6 weeks old. I generally know by week three.
looks like you have broken black, vienna marked black, vienna marked blue, blue and Aibou I'd need to see a clear facial shot.. probably broken black but something makes me wonder if broken black otter.

What colour is the buck though.. .is he chocolate? cause those kits might be lilac instead of blue.

you can sex kits at one day old. Most can't tell until kits are 5-6 weeks old. I generally know by week three.

looks like you have broken black, vienna marked black, vienna marked blue, blue and Aibou I'd need to see a clear facial shot.. probably broken black but something makes me wonder if broken black otter.

What colour is the buck though.. .is he chocolate? cause those kits might be lilac instead of blue.

Wow so many colors!
This is the dad (excuse my foot) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404073525.520041.jpg
Hikaru (sorry I'm not sure how to light them)
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404073603.763942.jpg
Kaoru
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404073769.177256.jpg
Yami
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404073828.404600.jpg
Tenshi
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404073857.197109.jpg
Aibou
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404073887.560227.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404073924.420826.jpg

well you have two otters....one blue and one broken black. Is the one blueish one darker than the other or is it just the camera. Quick way to tell blue from lilac is take a pic... lilac will have red afterglow in their eye, lilac also often look slightly purple.

otter is that brown lacing you see around the ears. Aibou's is broken up a bit which i've not seen before but it's there.

well you have two otters....one blue and one broken black. Is the one blueish one darker than the other or is it just the camera. Quick way to tell blue from lilac is take a pic... lilac will have red afterglow in their eye, lilac also often look slightly purple.

otter is that brown lacing you see around the ears. Aibou's is broken up a bit which i've not seen before but it's there.

The two greyish/blue/lilac? ones are identical colors. I used sunlight to try and get the best lighting but there was a cloud in the way. They haven't opened their eyes yet but I'll be sure to take a picture when they do. Aibou and Tenshi's spots both look black like their moms, Aibou just doesn't have that many spots. I really appreciate all the info (even if I don't know what half of it means 😅)!!! It means a lot to me you'd think about my buns color this much. Even Aibous ears are black would he/she still be an otter? And... (I feel a bit embarrassed for not knowing this) what is an otter??

(Sorry for the double post I clicked the wrong button)
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404188858.902342.jpg

All of the buns have opened their eyes (although only halfway)
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404188893.187165.jpg
They look so sleepy and cute!!!

Day 11! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404266300.901369.jpg
Man today was exciting. I left the house for about 3 hours and when I got back Kaoru was in Fuyus cage!!! No one was in the house, so somehow he got himself there?? This is really weird I didn't think 11 day old kits were supposed to be able to escape and navigate so easily. Fuyus cage is not exactly easy to get to from Natsu's cage (about a two foot drop and 3 feet over) but he seems fine... So I shouldn't be worried I guess

Ok so as of this morning the kits can get out of their nest box. Is this normal for 11 day old buns?

I have no experience in breeding, but from what I've read it sounds pretty normal to me :) Rabbits kits are very adept at climbing in/out of places they shouldn't be. You will need to make sure the area you have them is very secure so they can't get "lost"

That is a bit early. They are just starting to open their eyes at this point, so may get a little adventurous, but really should stay in the nest box for a few more days at least. Try putting them back in the nest, but if it keeps happening, you may need to rearrange things and turn the nest box on it's side, or some other type of cubby that they can snuggle in for a nap.

Another alternative would be to try a different nest box if their current one is the soft bed in the picture. You could try something with smooth sides, like a plastic bin with soft hay for bedding put in it. You want it big enough for mom to be able to hop in to nurse, and with sides high enough to keep the kits in, but low enough that mom can still hop in easily.

Also, I can't tell for sure from your pictures, but if the floor of your hutch is slippery, you will need to lay something down, like hay or fleece or something, that the kits can get traction on. Slippery floors can sometimes cause new kits to develop splay leg.

That is a bit early. They are just starting to open their eyes at this point, so may get a little adventurous, but really should stay in the nest box for a few more days at least. Try putting them back in the nest, but if it keeps happening, you may need to rearrange things and turn the nest box on it's side, or some other type of cubby that they can snuggle in for a nap.

Another alternative would be to try a different nest box if their current one is the soft bed in the picture. You could try something with smooth sides, like a plastic bin with soft hay for bedding put in it. You want it big enough for mom to be able to hop in to nurse, and with sides high enough to keep the kits in, but low enough that mom can still hop in easily.

Also, I can't tell for sure from your pictures, but if the floor of your hutch is slippery, you will need to lay something down, like hay or fleece or something, that the kits can get traction on. Slippery floors can sometimes cause new kits to develop splay leg.

Hi thanks for answering! I don't know why this worked, but I put and old stuffed cat in their nest box and they've been climbing all over it instead of climbing out of the nest box. Maybe they were bored? And although most of my pictures are of them in the little red bed, that's not their nest box, it's just easier for me to take pictures of them in there. Here's day 12 (although today's day 13, I won't be home for another few hours) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404410811.726951.jpg all of the fur was really gross and filled with pee and bunny poo, so I had to throw it out, but it's been extremely warm here and they weren't using it anyway. I did put more hay in the box after I took this picture. I do normally put fleece down but since the babies natsu has completely un-litter trained herself and she kept trying to pull it into the nest box, so when their older I'll put the fleece back in. It's not too slippery, it's chloroplast (spelling?). I'll try putting hay at the bottom of the cage though, thanks for that idea

Oh and the blanket in the nest box is a puppy welping pad

Alright day 15!!! Mom said that when it's time to give them to the bunny adoption center we can foster some of them!! Yay! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404620458.114552.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404620469.518126.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404620491.934233.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404620511.882203.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404620536.275460.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404620554.048908.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404620565.781747.jpg

Day 16! I let them wander the cage for a few minutes together because they were already getting out a lot. I put them back into the nest box afterwards though, I don't think they're quite large enough to have unlimited access to the cage yet. Ignore the poo, I cleaned the cage one hour ago but of course momma chooses right next the the nest box as a good place to goImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404695688.717776.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404695709.621489.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404695742.556017.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404695769.170625.jpg
They really liked pulling on the twig hoop

Just got back with the newly neutered Fuyu! He's doing really well, he's eating and drinking and hopping around. He pulled out some of his stitches while still at the vet but they said that was ok because there is also some sort of glue and internal stitches and as long as the incision doesn't come apart it's ok. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404769686.417645.jpg

Oh my goodness! I've been so overwhelmed I forgot to take pictures of my buns! Sorry for the gap guys. They're 22 days old, or a week and a day. And wow they can move now. I couldn't get them to stay in their nest box for more than two seconds, so I turned it on it's side. I hope that's ok. Now however I'm having trouble keeping them inside the cage! There is a small gap where the run meets the hutch, but I've patched it up really well, yet I keep finding them in Fuyus cage. He doesn't seem to mind, but I don't have any idea how they get there as there isn't a clear path between the two. I tried sexing them today, but I've never done it before (and Fuyu and natsu are really obvious as adult buns) and I'm not going to try again for a few more weeks because I'm fairly certain the chance of them ALL being girls is not that probable.
The first pic is the buns UNDER the hutch (how, I don't know). They didn't stay their long, but that's the 3rd time today ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405220155.444875.jpg
And here's them on the bed
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405220346.130185.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405220408.535984.jpg

Back