Baby gates and beds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! We have a bunny room for our two bunnies. To keep them from going out, we have to close the door. However, this feels dangerous because they always follow very quickly behind, and I'm worried that we might open or shut the door on them. We are wondering if a baby gate or something like that would make sense instead? Does anyone have any brand recommendations? The ones I find on Amazon seem to be either plastic/wood with gaps big enough for them to go through, or mesh (which I think they would chew). Also, what type of beds do your rabbits prefer? We had an Ikea doll bed, but they chewed it really quickly. Do your rabbits like beds they can chew? Soft squishy dog bed style ones? Or the hammock ones with stands that lift them off the ground? Thanks!

I use baby gates for Miley. I got metal ones then used metal grids/play pen panels cable tied to the sides to stop her form trying to get her head through.
She loves her cat cave style bed, she also has a memory foam mattress which she likes to dig 😁

I use baby gates for Miley. I got metal ones then used metal grids/play pen panels cable tied to the sides to stop her form trying to get her head through.
She loves her cat cave style bed, she also has a memory foam mattress which she likes to dig 😁

Same here. I used a pressure mounted metal baby gate, with 1/2" hardware cloth zip tied to the bars to stop them from squeezing through.

I have wooden bars, 60-70cm high, from baby gates and baby beds permanently installed across the doors of the 3 rooms my rabbits aren't allowed in, I have to step over those. My rabbits are around 10lbs, which makes it easier to lock them out. Also the lower half of the gate between front and backyard is permanently closed, another practice hurdle for me. Helps to keep me agile and nimble balancing through this obstacle course with my hands full dozens of times every day :D.

Thank you! Do they attach to the door frame?

I don't know about beds, I use cardboard boxes for Blossom and Thumper's hideyhouses. I don't know what brand it is but my mom got babygates from Target that's all metal but they're pricey at $50 a piece, however they could be cheaper in your state, this is what mine looks like only mine is a bit smaller.
https://www.target.com/p/summer-infant-union-arch-safety-gate/-/A-75456312#lnk=sametab
Thank you! Are the gaps on the side large enough to squeeze through?

We have plastic, expandable gates--put a board on the inside one as Cosmo chewed thru and was sticking his head out--have one on the outside that can go on top to stop jumpers from getting out at night. We used to have 3 that were climbers so I put a 6 inch board on top to stop them. They'd go up and over like a spider climbing up a wall--2 smaller bunnies and one huge lop.

Latest posts

Back