Baby Flemish Giant chewed part of a yoga mat!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3willowsbunny

Reaction score
I had the mat on top of our hardwood floor incase he missed the litterbox peeing. He is 100% pee trained so I probably should have taken it up but didn't and I just noticed a spot maybe 6"x2" where he chewed up the very top layer of the mat (did not go all the way through). He must have swallowed it because there were no "crumbs". He was binkying around and drinking a few minutes ago so he seems normal so far. I took the mat out and will get some woven grass replacements....will he be okay and is there anything I can do to assure he will be okay? He has timothy and alfalfa hay redily available, should I give him extra pellets to move things along?

I think pushing extra hay is usually the way to go, as it's the extra fiber that you want which hay is full of. He might be ok now, but I feel like that sort of thing could get very easily impacted in the gut. It really depends how small he chewed the pieces before swallowing. Keep a very close eye for any unusual behaviour, keep track of eating, drinking and toilet habits. If anything seems off, I would get him to a vet asap as if he doesn't pass them, he could go downhill very quickly.

Azerane's right, you want him eating mostly hay, fibre's what will push it through his gut faster. Keep changing handfuls to keep him interested. Also lots of water. One good way to up his fluid intake is to dip his favorite veggies in water and let him eat them wet. Cilantro is good for tummy troubles.

You'll have to keep an eye on him for 24 hours, they might seem fine for ages and then suddenly bad the next day...which was what happened to my Rosebun. Might be a good idea to clean up all his poos now, so you can keep track of how well he poops in the next few hours.

I think pushing extra hay is usually the way to go, as it's the extra fiber that you want which hay is full of. He might be ok now, but I feel like that sort of thing could get very easily impacted in the gut. It really depends how small he chewed the pieces before swallowing. Keep a very close eye for any unusual behaviour, keep track of eating, drinking and toilet habits. If anything seems off, I would get him to a vet asap as if he doesn't pass them, he could go downhill very quickly.

:yeahthat:

I would cut back on pellets a bit if anything; hay and water should be pushed as they're what really moves the digestive system along. If he chewed it up into pretty small pieces they should pass without issue, but you absolutely need to monitor him pretty closely for 24-48 hours.

*Definitely* clean out the litter box and clean up whatever stray poops are in his area if he tends to leave quite a few - it's crucial that you be able to easily determine whether or not his fecal output is normal.

If you notice a sudden, severe decrease in appetite and/or poop output, you need to get him to a vet ASAP as those are typically the first warning signs that a bunny is going into GI stasis. There are some potential at-home remedies for stasis... however, they should NOT be used when a blockage is suspected (the majority won't be effective and force-feeding can actually make a blockage problem significantly worse) - in that situation, a vet trip is a must.

I hope all is well with him and the mat pieces pass without incident :).

If he is allowed time out to run around then you could also try putting hay outside of his cage as well in it to help push hay eating. I noticed with my bun that when he is out of his cage he will go eat hay outside of it at times when he comes near it where if he didn't have hay there he would not necessarily go into his cage to eat.

He seems fine this morning, playful and eating like a pig, I gave him a half ration of pellets and loaded in the timothy with a bit of alfalfa. He is pooping normally so so far all is good, I am watching him like a hawk though. He doesn't have free run of the house just his EX-L dog crate and attached x pen.

You can also mist a little apple juice on his hay to encourage him to eat more of it, just make sure it stays fresh as damp hay is prone to mold, which isn't good for rabbits. Don't leave damp hay more than 24 hours.

Try giving him some foods with extra fiber so that all the pieces that were ingested can easily flow out

Back