Baby carrots - PLEASE READ!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmas rabbit

Reaction score
This is from an email that I just got from my sister. I have used these for years for snacks not only for myself but for my rabbits. NEVER AGAIN.

Thought you would like to know as we probably all bought these at some time...... this is why Iwill never buy them again,gross!

Secret of Baby Carrots

The following information is from a farmer who grow and packages carrots for IGA, METRO,LOBLAWS etc.

The small cocktail ( baby ) carrots that you boy in small plastic bags are made by using larger crocked or deformed carrots which are put through a machine which cuts and shapes them into cocktail carrots - most people probably already know that. What you don't know is the following. Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped into a solution of water and chlorine in order to perserve them ( this is the same chlorine that you use in your pool ). Since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine. You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refridgerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots. This is the chlorine that is resurfacing. At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables?

Chlorine is a very well-known carcinogen, which causes Cancer. I though this was worth passing on. I used to buy those a baby carrots for a vegetable dip, quick snack when travelling, a quick snack for my bunnies as it was convient. Never again.

Alma someone sent me the same article a few years ago. I thought the same thing you did until someone from RO pointed me tosnopes.com also.

I and the bunnies were very releaved. Hee Hee

Susan:)

There's no way they could be made from larger carrots & still have a small center core & the place where the greens were attached small as well.

Latest posts

Back